What do you do with them all?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've been having a read through a lot of older posts on here, and one thing that strikes me is how many people have had many bicycles through their hands. A typical post might be "Oh yes, I had an X, but I didn't get on with it, so I changed it for a Y, but then I have always like Z, and I have had a couple of those ..."

Given that there isn't a large and structured secondhand bike market as there is with cars, and bike shops (at least in my limited experience) don't routinely offer part-exchanges, what do you guys do with the bikes you no longer need? Do you part-ex them in? Sell using local papers or Gumtree? Ebay? Pass them on to friends and family? Keep them in use but rotate with the newer stuff? Or do people secretly have massive sheds where the unwanted and unused bikes rust gently away?

I read some posts and I want to say "yebbut, yebbut, what did you do with the old one?"

hedder2212

Depends on the bike.
I have around nine or ten crappy bikes sitting behind my workshop. Two in the loft and two or three in the cellar.
Ones that were worth selling on got sold on when i got a new bike and others get stripped down for parts to be sold or cleaned up and put in parts bin + frames wrapped and put in the loft.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sold on eBay or Gumtree. I've advertised on here too, but never sold a bike that way

The four bikes I still have get ridden depending on need, the conditions, my mood or whichever happens to be in the lounge at the time!

arch684

Veteran
I have 7 bikes.1 is on the turbo,the other 6 all get used depending how i feel and where i'm going on the day

Venod

Eh up
Sold old bikes, advertised on here but never sold off here, sold via, eBay, Single Track Classifieds and Bike Radar not sure why they don't sell on here, perhaps the other sites have a wider reader base.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They probably dont sell to well on here because most of us like shiny new stuff.
Or all the shiny old stuff means we've run out of space ;)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have 7 bikes between us and they are all used on a regular basis.

When we decide to get rid of one we find someone who needs one and who hasnt got one.

Jannie has an old Winter bike she needs to get rid of and we have just had a group of Syrian single guys housed nearby. I will find one of them to give it to.

Hopefully, he will get out and see thr real Denmark. I cannot think of anything worse than sitting in a prefab in a foreign country for months and years at a time.

Neilsmith

I haven't sold one yet I'm up to 4 in 18 months but the electric bike I started with is just about to go so I will probably put it on gumtree initially

byegad

Legendary Member
Confession time??
Back in 2008 I had 6 bikes, IIRC they were:-
Thorn Club Tour. My old commuting bike from when I was working and by then was used for any ride where I might use a railway Path of which there are many in County Durham.
Dahon Boardwalk. Holiday bike, my wife had, actually still has, one too.
Dahon Speed-Pro. A performance 20" folder which rode as nicely as the Club Tour and got used when I was not going off road.
Dahon Matrix. A 26" folder used for going into town where the fold and a good lock meant it would be difficult to steal, also used as a light off roader.
AZUB-4. Recumbent bike and my first 'bent. Great fun with 81 gears from 15" to 150" range I really loved that bike!
ICE QNT. Recumbent trike and bought for fun.
I'd had a Scott Atacama and sold that in 2001?? via the local paper.

Then I was told to avoid two wheels on health grounds, my balance isn't 100%. This was a huge blow and fortunately I'd bought the QNT the year before so knew I was OK on three wheels. So I sold the Tour to a friend, the Boardwalk to another friend, gave a relative the Matrix for towing a child trailer, sold the AZUB to a dealer and gave the Speed-Pro to my wife. I then bought a Kettwiesel and later my Catrike Trail. The poor old QNT, while still road worthy, is looking rather tired and could do with a respray and rebuild, and I may well sell it rather than getting my hands dirty. The other two trikes get regular use.

Top Bottom