What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Early morning in the garage doing a drive line clean and check over on my Sinclair road bike.
Then a bit of time cleaning and rebuilding the bottom bracket on my latest project Viscount.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<snip> When done, this will become a flat bar with a SRAM 11 speed 1x drivetrain replacing the 8 speed triple.
View attachment 723185
Guess what got worked on today?

I started off by simply removing the original 110mm stem and drop bars and loosly fitting the 80mm stem, flat bars (720mm MTB items cut down to 600mm), brake levers (re-using the old cable outers and calipers), shifter & grips to check the position while leaving the original shifters connected just in case
1709930464327.jpeg

Satisfied that everything was as I wanted it, off came the rest of the drivetrain
1709930785397.jpeg

Then on with the rest of the bits - Praxis BB, SRAM Rival 1x crank fitted with 46T Superstar Components chainring, SRAM Apex 1x rear derailleur, 11-42 cassette and Fabric Scoop saddle and colour matched bottle cage. Everything cabled up, tightened up and a test ride up and down the road conducted.
1709931107451.jpeg

1709931142984.jpeg

1709931171049.jpeg

As it stands above it weighs 11kg exactly, which isn't bad for a basic frame fittted with the original wheels & tyres and parts from the cheaper/heavier end of the range. I'd hoped to fit a carbon setapost for a bit of bling, but the one I had was 31.6mm and B'twin saw fit to use a frame that takes a 29.8mm.

Still to be finalised are mudguards as I can't decide whether to use the spare set of SKS Raceblade Longs I've got in the shed, or to go with full time fitment such as SKS Blumels - as the bike has proper fittings (which is one of the reasons I went for it) this is probably the way I'll go.
Also needed is a pump & a small saddlebag for spare tube, tyre levers, etc - anybody know when Aldi or Lidl are having one of their cycling specials?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitted a 11-34 cassette to the CX road wheelset to replace the 11-32. No issues shifting or with the jockey position (5700 mech has a 32T limit officially). Then I noticed the small chain ring is actually a 36T. Hmm, better get that changed. Don't need the range for off road, but with a big 130 mile hilly ride coming up, I think i'll change that too. Get a whole 4" per wheel turn.

november4

I managed to roll new tyre onto rim by hand, and then seated it with tank 👍
Sealant in and ready to go, leaving higher pressure on it for a day to make sure Sealant finds its way to any rimless, but so far so good.
(Hutchinson 11storm on mavic ksyrium sl)

I have an old sirrus sport flat bar that recent posts here have made me thing to put fatter tyres on it for a pop to shops / trails wagon. I have spare 105 group set, but would need to spend for new gear levers, and bottom bracket. May look for better frame on ebay instead for the 105, and just move it on for someone else to enjoy

Big John

Guru
As it was peeing down this morning I decided to ride tomorrow and instead dive into the garage and build a wheel. I'd been thinking about this for a while so today was the day. I've built loads of wheels for the bike charity where I work as a volunteer mechanic but this one was going to be different. I was going to use black AND silver spokes in a nice (or what I thought was a nice) pattern. It would then be obvious to see it was hand made, or so I thought. At least it would be unique, different. So how did it turn out, you ask? Well, not as good as I expected. It was possibly the truest wheel I've ever built and so I showed it to my biggest critic - the wife. What's so special about it? She asked. I told her about using a combination of black and silver spokes and she said "Well the black ones just look like dirty silver ones". Brilliant. So I put my tools away and took one final look at my wheel before leaving the garage and yes, I had to agree, it looked like a load of spokes were dirty silver ones. Bugger. Still, I have a front wheel I can use so it wasn't a complete waste of time. Or that's what I keep telling myself ☹️

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
nothing major. adjusted low stop as the derailleur is catching the spokes on the commuter

Went to recable my TT bike last week and found after 5months of non use the disc wheel had snapped a spoke, so I put that into the shop during the week. Before I did so I whipped off the the cassette. After spending a while cleaning it, I stuck that on the spare wheel, finished off recabling and indexed the bike. Whilst I was at it I took the rear brake caliper off, cleaned it and relubed it.

I might re cable/ wrap the good bike too but after thinking yesterday that it was dry enough to get it out, it's p1shed down.

Edit: I did indeed recable the good bike. What I suspected was right the rear derailleur barrel adjuster was broken when someone clipped my wheel with his in a sprint. So I added a inline barrel adjuster. Then rewrapped it.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a look at the very cheap used bike that my niece's boyfriend has bought. It doesn't really merit much money spending on it but it can be improved... It will probably be mainly used for slow rides on the flat Exe estuary paths so functional and safe are the only requirements. (If the cycling bug takes hold, a better bike will probably be bought and this one donated to a bike recycling charity.)

I don’t have many tools here in Devon so bodgery was involved!

So far...
  • The headset was loose. I did what I could with the tools available, but mole grips would not be the tool of choice! I have a feeling that there is a 12" adjustable spanner here somewhere and will try again if I find that.
  • The front v-brake was jammed against the rim on one side. I sorted that out.
  • The tyres look ok, and to my surprise are still inflated to a reasonable pressure since my last visit about 4 months ago.
  • "The previous owners said that the back gears are broken but could probably be fixed?" The bottle cage held on by velcro straps over the gear cable didn't help, but the real gear killer was a kickstand bolted over the cable, preventing it moving at all! :laugh:
  • The back brake also needs looking at but maybe after...
  • ... the wobbly back wheel has been dealt with! I won't mess about trying to sort out the iffy spoke tensions but next visit I will bring my cone spanners and fix the flopping hub.
  • Given that the bike looks too small for its very tall rider, the least I can do is to raise the saddle as much as I can. I will do that tomorrow.
  • The saddle is pointing up at a very jaunty angle. I will level it tomorrow.
  • As I was putting the bike away, I noticed a stiff link in the chain. Chain check tomorrow!
I will check my bike's rear mech adjustment tomorrow. I could get all 11 gears on today's ride but the indexing was slightly out. It needs a deep clean after a week on mucky, waterlogged Devon lanes but maybe one more ride this trip first. I think that I might fit mudguards next visit. I got wet, cold, and filthy on every ride this week!

dimrub

My son had a puncture on his Gary Fisher. I patched it, the tire was down again next day. I bought a new inner tube with sealant, and also took a very close look at the tire, to prevent reoccurrence. Nothing! I then noticed that the valve hole has very sharp edges. I guess someone converted from Presta to Schrader by drilling out the hole and leaving at that. The sharp metal must have torn the valve. I filed down the edges and inserted the tube, it held during the night, so hopefully this one is solved.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My son had a puncture on his Gary Fisher. I patched it, the tire was down again next day. I bought a new inner tube with sealant, and also took a very close look at the tire, to prevent reoccurrence. Nothing! I then noticed that the valve hole has very sharp edges. I guess someone converted from Presta to Schrader by drilling out the hole and leaving at that. The sharp metal must have torn the valve. I filed down the edges and inserted the tube, it held during the night, so hopefully this one is solved.
I have had that problem. The cause was very obvious because the hole in the tube was at the bottom of the valve.

After may years, my morph pump stopped working, couldnt work out how to dismantle it to investigate, but then found the bottom end unscrews, seems a washer had been displaced due to the inner of pump being dirty and dry, reseating the washer, a clean and an oil, back to full function. Hopefully this will help someone, 'cause googling didnt help

Top Bottom