What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been working on the Woodrup as part of a planned upgrade of several bikes. Originally 8-speed Shimano 105 most of the components are now off and it'll be 10-speed to go alongside the NeilPryde Bayamo TT bike, my Ridgeback Platinum (which is also getting an upgrade) plus son no. 2's Argon E116 TT bike. Every other road bike we have is 11 speed and it'll save keeping a set of 8-speed road wheels. Originally it looked like this although I've since changed the wheelset to a red Mavic Helium option, the seatpost to a fluted one, plus added a nicer and longer 120mm Cinelli stem (was 100mm) and narrower 42cm Cinelli bars (were 46cm):

pxl_20230519_074321884-jpg.jpg

To date I've removed most of the Shimano 105 groupset, cables and bar tape. Given it's been a loooong time since the brake cables were changed (1999 ?) some bits were 'sticky'. Derailleurs off, shifters and bar tape off and rear brake off. Shimano Ultegra 6700 shifters on, rather than Dura-Ace, as I've a few of these spare. The rear brake's a Dura-Ace 7900 to go with the groupset but I've still to either sort a 7900 front brake or pinch the matching one off my NeilPryde Bayamo. The front derailleur turned out to be a Dura-Ace 7800 (oops!) so I'm looking for a braze-on 7900 but the rear 7900 is on.

The crankset was a bit tough to remove but came out, along with the Shimano UN-52 bottom bracket. That I presume is original, but still in excellent condition. However, the frame will need some cleaning internally and protection - that's this evening's job before a Dura-Ace 9000 bottom bracket goes in, along with a Dura-Ace 7900 crankset. That's a 53/39 rather than the 53/42/30 it originally had. Basically it's got a longer and narrower front end, with higher gearing than the original. That was built for a lady to go touring on, then simply stored for 25 years without being used, before I picked it up. Current progress ...

PXL_20240312_163431714.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
CX hasn't been shifting as well as I'd like [5700 105 2x10) bit sluggish dropping down to smaller sprockets. It had new ptfe cables last year but decided to swap to Shimano SP41optislick. 15 minutes including retaping the bar (rear cable only) and boom, back to being perfect.

Removing cable from mech outer felt rough, so used the sealed ferrule on the outer entry of the new SP41. So much improved shift.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Secondly was the Van Nicholas that has been the main commuter bike for the past eight years. As i took early retirement last week and no longer need to commute, it got treated to a new set of Mavic Aksium wheels and a pair of part used GP4000 tyres (picked up on CycleChat). I was just going to re-use the old chain & cassette, but these got binned when I saw how worn a couple of the cogs on the cassette were and a part used chain & cassette (also picked up on here) have been fitted.
View attachment 723184
Minor fettle on this today when I got back from a ride - add an extra (thin) spacer to the cassette. When I fitted it the other week I re-used the thicker sized spacer that I'd used on the previous wheel/cassette combination and did the lock nut up fully tight, but on today's first ride since then I noticed a rattle and, having had it on a previous bike, a check of the cassette identified a tiny amount of movement. Don't know if it's the change of wheel , using Shimano instead of SRAM or a combination of both, but the additional thin spacer has done the trick.

fossyant

Minor fettle on this today when I got back from a ride - add an extra (thin) spacer to the cassette. When I fitted it the other week I re-used the thicker sized spacer that I'd used on the previous wheel/cassette combination and did the lock nut up fully tight, but on today's first ride since then I noticed a rattle and, having had it on a previous bike, a check of the cassette identified a tiny amount of movement. Don't know if it's the change of wheel , using Shimano instead of SRAM or a combination of both, but the additional thin spacer has done the trick.

Some freehubs are slightly different on the spacing - I have a set of various spacers to get them spot on for wheel swaps when the hubs are different. Can be just 1mm or so or less. Three of my bikes have spare wheels, all different hubs. just swap and go when you get the spacer sorted.

dimrub

The chain and the seatpost clamp for the Giant have arrived today, as well as a set of lights for the youngest' Gary Fisher. The lights went on, and the seatpost clamp, then it was the chain's turn. The actual chain was easy, but then one tunes the gearing, and it was a new derailleur. It was jumping on the high gear, no matter what, so after a few minutes I took the hint, and replaced the cable. After some more mucking with all 3 screws and the barrel adjuster, the gearing seems to be fine now. Well, except the front derailleur, but it seems to be an unrelated old issue - will deal with it too, once I've rested - this stuff is exhausting.

EckyH

The commuter isn't silent anymore.
The creaking noise caused by the combination of the vaude Pavei shoes and the PD-ES600 is mostly gone, because I found a used pair of PD-M505 in my fund.
But now there is a crepitant noise with every pedal stroke located somewhere in the bottom bracket area. I tightened all screws: chain ring screws, screws for the bottle cages, for the rear pannier rack... but still that noise. Roughly 83 times per minute.
At home I noticed that the right pedal has play between the axle and the pedal body. Hopefully I can tighten the pedal bearings a bit tomorrow. 🙏

E.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well.. Not so much 'fettled today' as be 'fettling next week'..

DSC_4202~2.JPG

11 miles in, gear change and this happened! I was thinking of single speeding it and riding it back but the chain was jammed (and my daughter lives close by and got a lift home)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I sorted out a manky chain on my 6-speed knockabout bike! I forgot to clean the bike a couple of weeks back ago after a wet ride just before heading off on family visits. I went to ride it today and 4 or 5 chain links had seized up and the rest of the chain wasn't looking great either. That is what comes of using dry weather lube in wet weather!

I had made sure to clean and lube my bike in Devon on Monday before heading back oop north. It gets stored under cover outdoors so it needs protection from condensation-induced corrosion.

fossyant

CX bike now sporting two new 105 chainrings (one Wiggle bargain, one ebay bargain), new chain and cassette. 34 x 34 bottom gear for going up walls. The chain will be swapped for a Wiggle Ultegra chain if it turns up.

Tom B

Guru
I bought a Frog for the firstborn last spring. It was suspiciously cheap but appeared to have had an hard life, as i expected the firstborn to continue giving it a hard life i didn't worry too much.

The seller advertised it with a new freewheel thingy and a new chain.

We got it home and he's been trying his best to ride the wheels off it.

It seems in it's former life that it has been at some point left out in the rain for some time, Every screw is rusty, stem is rusty under the clamped parts.

Over the last couple of weeks i've given it a new BB, a new crank, new cables, noodles and outers. I'd like to give it new tyres but the firstborn has other ideas.

Having completed all this, and nearly setting the house on fire while heating up the BB nuts, firstborn has had a growth spurt and now needs a new bigger bike.....

.... Still the second born now has another bike in stock.

Last edited:

dimrub

Got the third hanger on the wall of the basement:

S822xmgRNk3rZG06vTC0K=w556-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Right to left, it's my wife's current bike, the Giant, the Micro awaiting its parts, and at the front, on the stand is the Favorit.

Speaking of the Giant, finished fixing it up, and now must decide what to do with it. I suspect I'm just leaving it there on the wall, maybe I'll use it for commute, I dunno.

I also tried figuring out how to make some order of the tools. Right now the idea is to put them like this, on this sheet of plywood:

Qr4HcLcDAbtg1nM-PpfOa=w740-h983-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I think I'll do that, use that for a while to see how convenient that is, before coming up with anything more sophisticated/labor intensive.

Top Bottom