What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Picked up a donor Giant SCR 1.0 earlier today , stripped rear wheel off after getting a very rusty and seized chain out of the way
Checked oln of the wheel and checked it for fitment into receiving bike and it fits the dropouts ok so stripped out wheel bearings and gave them a clean and fresh grease .
Next job is to drop the block on to make sure gears select ok then i can fit a tyre and hey presto
Might have a Giant SCR frameset up for grabs soon

Bristolian

Made a start on the service of my Allez Sport today. Started with a complete strip down to the bare frame, bars and forks.

Removed the front forks, checked and re-greased the head bearings - all good. Gave the frame a really good clean and dry. The tip about using a leaf blower to dry the frame was excellent and it saves loads of time :thumbsup: I then turned my attention to the chain set. Ah, now we have a problem. The non-drive side bottom bracket bearing is running rough plus the chain rings are seriously worn and need replacing. A trip to the LBS tomorrow morning will, hopefully, get me the bits I need.* In the meantime, I've cleaned the chain rings and rebuilt the crank set ready to put back on the bike if the new parts don't arrive in time for a charity ride I'm doing on Saturday. I finished the day off by removing, cleaning, servicing and refitting the brake callipers.

Tomorrow I will clean, lubricate and refit the front and rear mechs, all the cables (inners and outers) and refit the crank set (if a replacement isn't immediately available). Both wheels still need to be cleaned and the hubs stripped, regreased and refitted as does the cassette and freewheel. Similarly, the pedals will get the strip, grease and refit treatment too, as they've been underwater a couple of times this winter, even though they feel okay and spin freely. Then it will just be lube and refit the chain (it's still good according to the tester-thingy), set up the gears and give it a short test ride.

* Replacing the chain rings is not too much of a issue as I was planning to go to a 2-by layout (instead of the existing 3-by) and also go to shorter cranks so now would be the obvious time to do that.

I had forgotten how satisfying it is to work on a bike :smile:

Last edited:

EckyH

The Langschenkelrenner has got the brake cables, the bottom bracket, cranks and pedals, changed the gear on the temporary wheel set, degreased and hotwaxed the chain, applied the bar tape and adjusted the brakes. Now it's ready for a test ride tomorrow. The only yet missing parts are bottle cages, mud guards and the planned wheel set (a set of used Shimano Ultegra 6500 hubs are on their way to me as well as Ryde Chrina rims, spokes and nipples).

E.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Picked up a donor Giant SCR 1.0 earlier today , stripped rear wheel off after getting a very rusty and seized chain out of the way
Checked oln of the wheel and checked it for fitment into receiving bike and it fits the dropouts ok so stripped out wheel bearings and gave them a clean and fresh grease .
Next job is to drop the block on to make sure gears select ok then i can fit a tyre and hey presto
Might have a Giant SCR frameset up for grabs soon

i really like the giant compact road i built up recently , cracking bike

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i really like the giant compact road i built up recently , cracking bike

This one has been a bit neglecte

IMG_20240407_112925.jpg

It has internal cable routing?

I can't remember to be honest. I'll have a look tomorrow. We've both tested it and it rides nicely.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had an hour in the garage sorting out the set of wheels that came off a donor bike at the weekend .
Rear wheel needs a trip to the lbs to re dish and spacing so it sits central in the frame.
Front wheel was rusted in drop outs, someone had tightened up the wheel on the quick release and it wouldn't release ended up having to break the quick release plastic nut off so I could get at the knurled nut and hold it with a pr of water pump pliers whilst I turned the quick release spindle, once out bearings cleaned and re greased and then rebuilt.

Bristolian

Finished off the clean, service and rebuild on my Allez Sport today. Yesterday was all cleaning, degreasing and re-lubing stuff; front and rear mechs, all new cables (inners and outers), wheel hubs, freewheel, cassette, etc. A trip to the LBS to see if they had a 50/34 crank set saved me some money as they declared my existing chain rings to be in better condition than I thought :smile:

Today was all about getting the bike rebuilt and fettled. Starting with the new bottom bracket and working my through all the bits I finally ended up with a functioning bike again. A quick ride up the road confirmed that the gears are working as expected and the new brake cables, with uncompressible outers, have improved the stopping power. All good :thumbsup:

The paintwork still looks a bit shabby (discoloured in places and plenty of scratches and paint chips) but I guess it's only to be expected on a 13 year old frame. Maybe I'll give some thought to a respray later in the year. Still, it should be good mechanically for a long time to come - provided I don't crash it before the Tour de Bristol on Saturday :ohmy:

Top Bottom