What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

Wrapped bar tape around a handlebar, attached a bottle cage and a holder for the pump, adjusted the brakes and attached pedals.
And here it is, with parts from the early 1990s (the front wheel) to the 2020s (brake levers, brake cables, the saddle and the rear wheel without tire, tube and rim tape).
IMG_20240326_174431.jpg

E.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Adjusted boom some more and seems about right now. Rear mudguard mounted. Mudguard stay bolt sheared and had to replace. Plus remounted the two rear lights I run, one on each seat stay.

Applied scotch guard water repellant to seat bag.

Trued the new wheel set, swapped it with the original and put cable shoes for the new dynamo (SON) on the cable for the lights.

E.

My (hopefully) future colleague told me that SON Dynamos are made in Tübingen; she has one on the bike she built as her master's project and wanted as many locally made components as possible.

Last edited:

EckyH

My (hopefully) future colleague
🤞 🤞
Good luck!

told me that SON Dynamos are made in Tübingen; she has one on her bike; she built it as her master's project and wanted as many locally made components as possible.
They are - and SON products for me are so want to have that they are a must have. The quality is outstanding as well as the price. Fortunately sometimes there were some bargains on the second hand market...

E.

dimrub

For the last few days I've been 3d-printing various holders for bicycle tools, to put on my Skadis board. This is just about what it looks like right now (WIP):

GUsm900_JqFwsmn6IOM=w1688-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Also, I've discovered that my elder son's bicycle (a custom Fearless-based gravel bike) is long past maintenance. The chain is at 75% and the cassette is worn out, what's more, the cassette is not staying in place, jiggling all over the place. I suspect one of the washers came apart. Sounds like a time to replace both the chain and the cassette. As always, nothing is easy with reards to shipping stuff over to my place. I completely forgot that my favorite site, bike-components.de, doesn't ship Shimano components to Israel. Luckily, Aliexpress does - and for less money too, so Ali it was saving the day, once more.

But that's not all. One of the bolts holding his rear rack has broken inside the frame. My next adventure will be to try and extract it from there. I'll try the method RJ has proposed, of hammering the bolt sidewise gently, thus revolving it out. If that doesn't work, perhaps I'll try to solder a smaller bolt to it, and rotate.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The chain is at 75%...
That is either the most worn chain in the history of chains, or you meant 0.75%?! :whistle:

dimrub

That is either the most worn chain in the history of chains, or you meant 0.75%?! :whistle:

I think the markings on my tool say 50% and 75%, meaning something like "you're halfway to the chain being bust" and "you're almost there, better order a replacement", but maybe I missed the leading zero and it just indicates the degree of elongation? Either way, the chain is a goner.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Installed the new wheel on the commuter , cant say i found the triban 520 wheel any harder to get a tyre on than other ones i have used so i cant see what the fuss was about.I did try using the rim tape from the old wheel but it was slightly to wide to seat.Luckily i have some tubeless rim tape so used that and all seems good .After installing the rotor and cassette i had to adjust both gears and brakes to get it all to run smoothly then added a proper set of mudgauds i have had in the shed for years .

8mph

Veteran
Patched a snake bite puncture and also removed the foam bit from my Ritchey lock-on foam grips and glued it back on. The whole process took less time than the hour spent searching for replacements online.

I got my disc wheel back from the shop today so I swapped the cassette of the wheel I was using onto it.

Whilst I was at it I put the new brake springs in its rear v brakes and balanced them.

Everything seems to be running smoothly now but I probably won't know until I get onto the open road and with 70mph winds forecast again I doubt that'll be any time soon.

Top Bottom