What is a coaster brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
@ekbe01 is asking for info on a lightweight bike with a coaster brake, but rather than disturb her thread I thought I'd ask here.

What is a coaster brake?

midlife

Guru
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

a brake in the hub that is activated by pedaling backwards.

Shaun

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Thanks, I haven't come across one of those before. Interesting. Are they quite powerful, like a lever brake, or does it take some time to stop using one of these?

They are common enough on "city" bikes in mainland Europe. Had one on a bike I hired in Germany back in June. Hideous. The worst thing with them is getting started off. You cannot swing the pedals back to get a "drive-off" position, so you end up hopping and scrambling. They are quite sharp, so if you forget you have one, you get an uncomfortable reminder. Suitable, perhaps for really heavy bikes and steep downhills. Not my style at all!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A steep downhill is where I really would t want one!

You have to try and stop with your pedal ready each time to make it easier to set off!

rrarider

Veteran
Thanks, I haven't come across one of those before. Interesting. Are they quite powerful, like a lever brake, or does it take some time to stop using one of these?
They are powerful enough to lock the back wheel. My mother's Moulton had such a brake back in the 1960s and the brake was quite OK for a shopping bike.

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm guessing they are not so popular these days or maybe limited to certain types of bikes like the European town bike styles?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Great for pulling huge skids on hire bikes as a kid in CentreParcs Netherlands in the early 80s. This was designed by my brother and I to 'pull the birds'. It worked for him, but although my skids were longer, I failed.

Julia9054

Guru
First got caught out with one of these when riding my penfriend's bike in Germany as a teenager. I pedalled backwards whilst coasting down a hill, bike came to a sudden standstill and I flew over the handlebars! She didn't know there was any other type of brake so didn't think to mention it!
I hired a bike in Amsterdam last Easter. As other posters have said, it is having to scoot to set off that makes life difficult - my "scooting" leg was aching like mad the next day.

Top Bottom