What is it with cruise liners and vomiting bugs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
_46339070_balmoral.jpg

A cruise ship visiting a Highland harbour has been struck by a suspected outbreak of a vomiting bug.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8243040.stm

I've got to say, cruises like this are not so appealing to me anyway but being as the risk of catching the novovirus is pretty high as well, I think I'll steer clear of cruising holidays.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's all those oldies confined in stuffy salons together with small numbers of the same staff circulating amongst them.

God forbid that an STD ever broke out on a cruise.

Brains

Legendary Member
The problem is a lot more common than most people realise, however unlike when it happens on land and is dissapated, on board a ship you have a captive audience and so it spreads from one to the next on touch.

If people washed their hands after going into the "heads" (to use the nautical term), it would cease to be an issue

Here in the maritime industry we see reports of this happening almost on a weekly basis

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Rigid Raider said:
It's all those oldies confined in stuffy salons together with small numbers of the same staff circulating amongst them.

God forbid that an STD ever broke out on a cruise.

Never been on a cruise but your saying the staff have sex with large groups of oldies?

Blimey! you would think they would get paid more!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think Novovirus is spread by bad toilet hygiene; I think it's spread by bad hygiene after coming into contact with vomit and saliva. The virus is very resistant and lingers for a long time on surfaces like door handles.

On the general subject of viruses; I have managed to reduce the numbers of colds I get to around one a year simply by routinely washing my hands whenever I get in from outside, especially if I have been to the shops. I also try to avoid rubbing my eyes and touching my nose.

Brains

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
I don't think Novovirus is spread by bad toilet hygiene; I think it's spread by bad hygiene after coming into contact with vomit and saliva. The virus is very resistant and lingers for a long time on surfaces like door handles.

I was working on the assumption that if one is going to be sick, it's the loo that you head to.

However it should be pointed out that should you go projectile vomiting from the upper deck on the windward side of the ship all over those sunbathing around the pool on the lower stern deck, followed by a dash to the loo though every door on the ship you could probably cause an outbreak in one fell swoop

PastyPower

Went on a Carribean cruise with the Royal Carribean year and a half back now, and the signs for watching personal hygeine were everywhere. Have to say the ship was spotless and enjoyed every minute of it.

How many times do you see people in the lav of a boozer walk straight out- some people think they needn't bother washing their hands and I guess thats how most of the bugs spread. Food poisoning, well thats the ships fault I guess:laugh:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
PastyPower said:
Went on a Carribean cruise with the Royal Carribean year and a half back now, and the signs for watching personal hygeine were everywhere. Have to say the ship was spotless and enjoyed every minute of it.

How many times do you see people in the lav of a boozer walk straight out- some people think they needn't bother washing their hands and I guess thats how most of the bugs spread. Food poisoning, well thats the ships fault I guess:biggrin:

That can be the start of it... Gastroenteritis once contracted by food poisoning can be spread by touch etc

Mind you did anyone see panorama last night? some beaches in the uk with a 1 in 7 chance of catching it if you swim there, I would rather take my chances on a cruise ship... a hell of a lot warmer!

Top Bottom