What is "normal" bar width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The common wisdom is that your bars should be the same width as your shoulders.
that's what i figured.... my advice to the OP would be go into a bike shop, look at the various handlebars and check their width. No need to measure shoulders beforehand, just don't forget to take them with you :okay:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
My Cinelli Experience is the 54 cm frame 2013 model. The centre-to-centre distance of the drops is 420mm. I put the same bars on my previous 58cm Spesh Secteur. I do most of my riding in busy London traffic so a smaller frame and narrower bars makes "avoiding the furniture" a bit easier. It feels more nippy and responsive. If I did a lot of long rides in the country, with fast downhill stretches, wider bars and a larger frame might feel more stable.

Just found the receipt for the mash bullhorns on my other experience - they're 40cm which is odd as they feel wider than the vai drop handlebar when on the hoods.

S-Express

That would be to reduce the risk of touching bars when alongside each other, in an event that lasts just seconds. It is a bit of an outlier as examples go.
Pretty much all track riders will use narrow bars, regardless of the event. I used the sprint as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom