What is the most stupid thing you have ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Sharky Bloke has just reminded me about being a thirteen year old with fireworks. Had a banger which didn't go off. So I broke it in half and dropped all the gunpowder. Thing is, I was in the middle of a dark field and couldn't see a thing. Struck a match to see where it was............WOOOOOF...............Aaaarrgggghhh I'm blind and my hair is on fire. Fortunately it did no real damage, though much of my fringe, eyebrows and eyelashes were missing. Was made to stand up in assembly the next day when they were lecturing about the dangers of fireworks. xx(

ChrisKH said:
Sharky Bloke has just reminded me about being a thirteen year old with fireworks. Had a banger which didn't go off. So I broke it in half and dropped all the gunpowder. Thing is, I was in the middle of a dark field and couldn't see a thing. Struck a match to see where it was............WOOOOOF...............Aaaarrgggghhh I'm blind and my hair is on fire. Fortunately it did no real damage, though much of my fringe, eyebrows and eyelashes were missing. Was made to stand up in assembly the next day when they were lecturing about the dangers of fireworks. :biggrin:

That's adding insult to injury! xx(

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh yeah... as a student in Spain I once hollowed a hole in an orange and stuck a banger in it (both very common in Andalucia) intending to lob it into the TV room at my hall of residence in the hope that it would explode in mid air and shower everybody with juice.

It didn't - it exploded in my hand, which smarted for a few hours and had little black specks embedded in the skin.

U

User169

Looking at a UV transilluminator (to visualise DNA stained with ethidium bromide) without safety specs. Cue two days of something akin to snowblindness; it felt as though my eyeballs were being sandpapered.

TVC

Back in my school days we went on the standard school trip to Calais where we of course all stocked up on fireworks. A couple of night later I was in the woods with a couple of mates detonating the things when I happened upon an empty whisky bottle. Being brain of Britain at the time I rammed the biggest banger into the neck of the bottle and lit it whilst the three of us stood around it waiting for the result.

BANG!!! and the bottle ceased to exist. It was then that I realised it might have been quite lucky that none of us ended up with glass embedded in our legs, and a valuable lesson about life was learned.

Maz

Guru
ChrisKH said:
Sharky Bloke has just reminded me about being a thirteen year old with fireworks. Had a banger which didn't go off. So I broke it in half and dropped all the gunpowder. Thing is, I was in the middle of a dark field and couldn't see a thing. Struck a match to see where it was............WOOOOOF...............Aaaarrgggghhh I'm blind and my hair is on fire. Fortunately it did no real damage, though much of my fringe, eyebrows and eyelashes were missing.
That's exactly what I did once, too!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
Starting a conversation with Joe24, or asking that girl out from the 'Should I ask the question?' thread.

Awwwwwwww:thumbsup::laugh:
Im touched.
Am i on your ignore list yet or are you still in love with me?
You just need to relax more YC:girl:

Most stupid thing ive done? I dunno.
I went through a section of white water that was bigger then normal and i wasnt used to.
I got stuck in a wave, flipped over and couldnt get out of my boat. I did finally get myself out after a long time trying. I shoot up the coach and my mother who were both watching

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Lots of banger action going on here - them little red Chinese ones per chance?

My stupid banger story is chucking one out of the car window in France, me and some mates when we were younger and even more stupid then now, we drove off at speed across a field and hit a bump knocking the engine off it's mountings - the gears were f*cked and we had to drive back to Blighty in second gear.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Deciding the quickest way to get down stairs as the Indian takeaway had arrived, was to 'bodysurf' down - this seemed such a good idea until I hit the radiator at the bottom an my neck then made a loud crack, luckily (& unsurprisingly) the fact I was very drunk possibly saved my life - unless I'm dead & the afterlife is very surreal!

gbb

Legendary Member
Not so serious...changed the oil in my car some years ago....forgot to put the sump plug back in. Merrily pouring oil in the top...till i see it spreading on the floor by my feet . Nooooooo :laugh:

Eyebrow burning serious ...we had a fetish as kids with lighter fluid, used to set fire to all sorts. We sprayed some into an empty gallon can, then pushed a match in......nothing :thumbsup:...look closer....nothing :sad:...peer in the hole...blow into it....whoomph :ohmy:. Burned eyebrows and hair :sad:

Firework fights as kids....light a banger in your hand...into the wind (inadvertantly)....BANG in an instant. Black hand and a look of shock. :biggrin:

Renard

Reading this has reminded me of the time when I worked in a lab. I was using a huge autoclave to sterilise equipment and I wanted to push the pressure/temperature up a bit higher as it was failing to reach the desired setting. I overrode the safety cutoff and promptly forgot about it. When I remembered the pressure was well in the red and had it exploded I think it would've taken half the building away with it. Another one of those moments that still makes me sick whenever think of it. Never told anyone about it either.

gary r

Guru
Lazy-Commuter said:
Mine would be pushing the (badly insulated) HT lead back onto the spark plug on a petrol lawn mower while it was running. Took an hour to get feeling back in my arm. :laugh::blush:

ive done that trying to take the HT lead off a motorbike whilst the engine was running !!! My excuse was that i was only 16:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Oh yeah...i was telling my dad this t'other day, he nearly went white :laugh:

We used to live on an abandoned airbase (just a few houses on the married quarters in use). Woke up one morning to Harriers hovvering in the treeline, armoured vehicles all over and soldiers running around on the base itself. This is absolute heaven and the ultimate excitement a kid can have, we watched all day. The freekin noise those Harriers made was unbelievable :thumbsup::ohmy::biggrin:

So, next morning, we (some of the few kids that lived in the married quarters) went exploring the base, see whats left, see where they've been etc etc.
Some numbskull had left a (i assume...i hope) blank cartridge. We found it by chance....and set about trying to set it off.
Wedged it between bricks, hit it with this and that...nothing.

FFS :sad::ohmy:...said my dad when i told him...have you any idea how many servicemen were killed doing that over the years !!!!

Top Bottom