What is the most stupid thing you have ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
got-to-get-fit said:
As safety manager for a large petrol company....you have just given me a heart attack and a laughing attack at the same time.

There's a great clip on YouTube of a tanker driver delivering to a garage where he uses a lighter to help him see into an open hatch on the top of the tanker to check the petrol level.... Of course, he gets blown clean onto the forecourt and the clip ends with the garage attendant putting his burning clothes out with a fire extinguisher !!

No access to YouTube at work so I can't find and post the link right now.

ChrisKH

Guru
vernon said:
I once lit a rocket in the kitchen because my son dared me to.

Not one to refuse a dare I lit the fuse thinking that I could douse it in the sink full of cold water that I'd spotted just after the dare was issued.

I duly lit the fuse and enjoyed the look of panic on my son's face - this was no ordinary rocket but one of those big star bursts.

I dunked the rocket in the water and the fuse continued burning - the look of panic was now on my face.

I ran to the back door to throw the rocket out but it was locked and the key wasn't in the lock.

During the lifetime that flashed in front of my eyes - I opened every cupboard door and oven looking for a place to lodge the rocket but the fear of the consequences from my wife was greater than my fear of the injuries from the pyrotechnic. The scene was like one of those Ealing comedies running around in circles desperately hoping for a miracle solution....

In the last few seconds before 'lift off' I found the back door key and managed to release the rocket outside.

It hovered and exploded directly overhead about sixty feet up.

My son was less than complimentary about my intelligence. For once I had to agree with him ;)

I can picture that! :smile:

I have just remembered when I was about 12, in less that H & S days, I got a new reading light over my bed. You know the sort, like the tube lights you get under the units in kitchens. This one had two plastic ends that slid off exposing the metal end terminals. I wonder what happens if you touch both ends whilst lying in bed.........? :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
ChrisKH said:
I have just remembered when I was about 12, in less that H & S days, I got a new reading light over my bed. You know the sort, like the tube lights you get under the units in kitchens. This one had two plastic ends that slid off exposing the metal end terminals. I wonder what happens if you touch both ends whilst lying in bed.........? :biggrin:
That's reminded me of the time when me and my Sis were sharing a room (I think we were decorating my room so I slept in my Sis' room for the night) and were secretly reading and talking way past lights out time... we started (for whatever reason) to drip little bits of spittle onto the bulb of the lamp which was between our beds to hear it hissing and smelling the burning... I then went a little too far and spat a bit more onto the bulb - imagine our surprise and shock when it exploded!! :smile: I have no idea exactly why we did it, or how we escaped without any injury.... ;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Oooh, another time (at College) a mate of mine brought his high powered Crossbow into the Refectory (again, no idea why!!) and we started firing it across the room at things resting on a table.

Obviously we were very sensible and ensured that no-one was behind the table, or near it to the sides as it was in one of our free periods and the Refectory was pretty much empty... :biggrin::biggrin:

...so anyways, after obliterating the usual stuff (polystyrene cups from the vending machine, packets of crisps, a can of coke etc.) we decided it would be fun to fire it at my mate's shoe to see if it could pierce the sole (obviously not while he was still wearing it though!)...

I aimed carefully and fired from about 8ft away...

Direct hit!! Whoo hoo... :smile::tongue:

However, this elation was immediately followed by shock as the crossbow bolt rebounded and whizzed past my right temple and ear, grazing me on the way!!!

The shoe survived completely intact. My pants were nearly not so lucky.

Honetly, I'm amazed I'm still alive at times. ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Well funny you should say that.........

I recall in my teens in the summer holidays that all the boys down my street got into building bows and bought some real target arrows. Gary Burgess was trying out my bow and for a laugh said 'run I'm going to fire it at you'. So we ran away as fast as we could. He shot the arrow high into the air like an Agincourt bowman and it arced (?) onto the group of us running away. Hit me square on the back of the head on the boney bit just above the neck line. Half an inch lower.............

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once put a piece of corn in my air rifle and shot my baby brother's leg with it. How he squealed. My Dad had a shotgun, which we used to load when he and Mum were on their frequent evenings out, leaving us rampaging around the house unwatched. Gawd knows how we never killed each other.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I've also been shot at by my mate with a high powered air pistol (a Scorpion IIRC) whilst running round a local disused quarry with another mate.... naked.

The things you do for a bet. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
dont ask:laugh:

When I was about 19 I found an air rifle in the hedge. As it was not mine I thought I could try a trick I had heard about, first I tried a few practice shots to test the accuracy which was pretty good, then I got a few drops of diesel oil and put a tiny drop on the back of a pellet, BANG! the piece of wood flew into splinters, pretty good I though, loaded again and aimed at a corrugated iron wall, trouble was the pellet hit a bolt or something and came straight back, leaving a graze down the back of my right hand which was lucky because it stopped the pellet going in my eye.

Brahan

Über Member
You know when you push yourself out the bath like a gymnast on the parralell bars? Well I did that once and tried to swing myself into a handstand position but went all the way over and got the handle of the tap up my arse.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Brahan said:
You know when you push yourself out the bath like a gymnast on the parralell bars? Well I did that once and tried to swing myself into a handstand position but went all the way over and got the handle of the tap up my arse.

Yeah, yeah ... I bet a hundred A & E depts have heard exactly the same thing.

:biggrin:

I climbed a tree and somehow managed to fall and catch a branch in the back of my throat. I'm sure my mom never believed me.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
How long a list would you like?

Stuck an electrical screwdriver into the plug socket on an old girlfriends dad's car. The car's fuses went pop.

Rode at 120mph+ on my bike on the IOM in a thrunderstorm on a flooded road!

Rode at 100mph+ over the mountain on the IOM in the FOG!!!!

Took part in an unofficial 'low pull' contest as a skydiver - was less than 5 seconds from impact!

Tried to get one last thermal in a glider, ended up very low over a town, and only just got back to the airfield by 'hedge hopping'

Top Bottom