What is the point of a 1 week driving ban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You've changed your argument. First you claimed that speeding isn't dangerous, then you rephrase your argument to say that 1mph above the posted limit is "critically dangerous". Nobody said that. There is a law, there will always be a cut-off point. You would never be charged for 71mph anyway, let alone your straw man assertion.

The dangerousness of speed isn't defined by the number on a sign. The dangerousness of speeding is shown in basic human physiology. The higher the speed, the more likely a crash and the more severe the injury. Pretty basic stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No argument from me on this one as long as it also includes city centres

However I do fell this is claptrap, cars are far safer than they were 50 years old when it was restricted, if you ban remoulds, then you will remove all HGV's & most forms of motorsport including F1, there is nothing wrong with MOT's or remoulds.

No argument on this one either
As a former mechanic all MOT testing should be done at independent testing stations and not by 'garages' where the tester can be slipped a 'bung' to pass a dodgy vehicle (it does still happen to my certain knowledge)

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not expecting a great deal from a bloke who can't spell the country or city he lives in, but what makes you think this?
Let it go, you've already made the same reply in 3 other posts, if I was black that would be racism, just because I'm dyslexic you can get away with it.

Ern1e

Über Member
As a former mechanic all MOT testing should be done at independent testing stations and not by 'garages' where the tester can be slipped a 'bung' to pass a dodgy vehicle (it does still happen to my certain knowledge)
I agree like the test stations for hgv's driver has to stay in the vehicle once it's in the lane. Not much chance to "bung" anyone it's a whole line of guys testing it.

StuartG

slower but further
However I do fell this is claptrap, cars are far safer than they were 50 years old when it was restricted
They are, on average, much heavier. That's a lot more kinetic energy to get lost when things go pear shaped. The physics has not changed nor the amount of brainpower in attempting to mitigate the disaster.
Reduce the speed and you reduce the KSI particularly for the most vulnerable road users.
But this is probably not relevant in a fact free, unresearched and evidence denying universe. So carry on ...

D

Deleted member 26715

They are, on average, much heavier. That's a lot more kinetic energy to get lost when things go pear shaped. The physics has not changed nor the amount of brainpower in attempting to mitigate the disaster.
Reduce the speed and you reduce the KSI particularly for the most vulnerable road users.
But this is probably not relevant in a fact free, unresearched and evidence denying universe. So carry on ...
Are you & Glenn the same person, you're both arguing with yourself on points that you seem to be making up, what are heavier, modern cars over older cars? no concrete evidence to support this but I suspect not, with the use of new materials & the adoption of crumple zones rather than thick steel.

No-one is also arguing that inappropriate speed is dangerous, but speed per-say is not, I'm sure there is an upper limit at which point the human body cannot survive, although this is likely to be more to do with acceleration rather than out & out speed. It is bizarrely rapid retardation not speed that causes the most injuries, although being a clever little chucky you probably knew that.

Okay here's a challenge then, name me one person that has been killed by speed & not the amphetamine type

StuartG

slower but further
Are you & Glenn the same person, you're both arguing with yourself on points that you seem to be making up, what are heavier, modern cars over older cars? no concrete evidence to support this but I suspect not, with the use of new materials & the adoption of crumple zones rather than thick steel.

No-one is also arguing that inappropriate speed is dangerous, but speed per-say is not, I'm sure there is an upper limit at which point the human body cannot survive, although this is likely to be more to do with acceleration rather than out & out speed. It is bizarrely rapid retardation not speed that causes the most injuries, although being a clever little chucky you probably knew that.

Okay here's a challenge then, name me one person that has been killed by speed & not the amphetamine type
Where to start? Let's start at the end. No I can't give you the names of the 5 lads who died at the bottom of the road when their speeding hothatch lost control in a 30mph area. That's cos they don't answer. Sorry. Oh and the speed was appropriate or the driver wouldn't have been doing it would he? Just that appropriate wasn't when it went pear shaped. Perspectives change.
Weight of cars? Well go check the spec of the Golf Mk1 , Mk2 et al and surprise me.
Speed per-say is not. Yep the carefully researched, peer reviewed reports are wrong. Why did they waste that money when they could just have taken your word for it. Oh by the way when a little lad runs out in front of a car passing a school the result will be same if it was travelling at 30 or 20 mph? How does that work? Can you bend time too?
I must resist the temptation to try and see what other remarkable fact free stuff you can come out with. Well until you can produce some evidence to refute the paper Glenn quoted or back up your rather incredible claims with some credible evidence.

No we are not the same person and have had a spectacular row in the past 'cos we usually have different viewpoints and temperament. But clever of you to unite us in a common cause for common sense! And are we really both making up that BMJ report? Prove it!

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the Golf Mk1 was 790kg, the Mk7 was 1395kg. Tonight's mastermind question is which is the heavier? Take your time ...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Stuart, I'm a little, well actually not a little, I'm actually a lot confused at what point you are arguing against, what point do you think I was or clearly very inefficiently was trying to make?

Your example above of the tragic loss of life, I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure that the inappropriate speed was a factor, again I'm not sure what point you are now trying to make.

Just so we are on the same page, I would be happy & compliant that around all schools & vulnerable areas the speed limit be reduced to 20mph, I would also advocate that anyone breaking this limit face severe fines/bans. I also believe that the fines/bans on drivers/riders in 30mph should be increased dramatically. I am fed-up of following cars down the de-restricted road into our village at 40mph only to see that when we get to the 30mph limit they speed away from me & continue at 40mph whilst I drop to the limit.

As I type this I think it's symantic's, I believe that speed is not dangerous, but inappropriate speed is, which could be 5 or 10 or lower mph on a motorway dependant on the circumstances, you on the the other hand appear that all speed is dangerous at all times, how you move around the world I'm unsure.

With regards to weight you clearly are correct in that instance, however that to me is a simplistic view, you are not taking into account air bags, ABS braking, traction control, tyre performance, geometry changes in suspension, changes in external surface matter. Were I to be in an accident in either car, I would prefer it to be the later model not the earlier one, but how that would reflect on somebody on the outside involved in an accident I'm not qualified to answer.

Last point, I am not aware (which doesn't mean it hasn't happened) of any car causing an accident, it is normally the driver or the person responsible for the maintenance (or lack thereof) that actually caused the accident, the car was just the vehicle (no pun intended) for the accident to happen.

D

Deleted member 26715

Maybe if you opened your eyes & actually read what I put them maybe just maybe you would know the answer

D

Deleted member 26715

I did read it thanks. As you declared yourself unqualified to answer, I invited you to say which you would rather. You must have an inkling.
I would rather not be hit by either, but as you appear to wish I was then please invent a scenario & I will give you an answer, because depending on the scenario the answer might be different
So does inappropriate speed only become so when it results in an accident? Any other time is fine?
No, just like behaviour inappropriate is inappropriate if it is inappropriate, otherwise it wouldn't be inappropriate would it.

D

Deleted member 26715

So how do you decide?
Well hopefully you would use your brain to do that, but you decide, travelling at 20mph down a very busy high street full of pedestrians or travelling down a motorway at 85mph at 2am on a clear night with no other cars in the vicinity, both or neither could be inappropriate, although I suspect the first would be under most circumstances & the second not so, but not actually being there & being able to take in all the surroundings it's impossible to make that judgement.
No, that is OK you can make your own up or not, as you see fit.
Thank you for your permission!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well hopefully you would use your brain to do that, but you decide, travelling at 20mph down a very busy high street full of pedestrians or travelling down a motorway at 85mph at 2am on a clear night with no other cars in the vicinity, both or neither could be inappropriate

and that's the problem I have with speeding, safespeed, appropriate, etc, etc - you are making a personal choice the consequences of which are often not limited to yourself. If you want to go jump out of planes, off cliffs, whatever it takes to 'get your speed on'...I'm cool with that if it involves just you. As soon as you want to 'get your speed on' on public roads, well I'm not ok with that.

Top Bottom