What is the widest tyre you can add on a 23mm rim and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bkulacs0410

I had a bicycle with a 700c x 37c wheel with a 23mm wide rim and I always felt the roads were quite rough. After reading a lot online I realised that there's no point in having a suspension for London commuting. At the moment I am using a rental bike with a 700c x 47c wheels and the roads are a lot more comfortable. I was wondering if I end up buying the same bike I had before that comes with 700c x 37c wheels with a 23mm rim, what would be the widest tire I could possibly add to it?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you were finding 37c too rough on London roads then your tyre pressures were too high!

That is a big tyre to use on the road. The 35C tyres on my CAADX feel incredibly comfortable.

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

If you were finding 37c too rough on London roads then your tyre pressures were too high!

That is a big tyre to use on the road. The 35C tyres on my CAADX feel incredibly comfortable.
Well, I always pump it to the maximum so it rolls well

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
nooooooo. 37c is still pretty slim. As I said on the rental one is 47c and it feels a lot better

Try 23/25c - I find them comfy on my road bikes. You've got a lot of factors - some tyres aren't very compliant, tyre pressure too. You can go bigger, what ever will fit in the frame, but bigger may not be better. May roll worse, may roll better. Depends on the tyre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think my MTB rims are much wider than 23mm and I run 2.35" tyres on them. If I run them on too high a pressure, even with 130mm suspension travel each end, they are way too harsh. Running at under 30 PSI allows comfort and grip - 40 PSI, oh no.... far too harsh.

Easy how the other extreme can be too harsh too.

Top Bottom