What to do if a dog attacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
She has grown/ been trained by my sister into a pretty placid adult dog, but when young she had some weird quirks and phobias.

And still does do some strange stuff: when she has finished eating she picks up her dinner bowl, takes it out of the kitchen, plonks it in the middle of the living room floor, then returns to the kitchen. Why? Who knows.

Border terriers are generally nuts as a puppy and into adolescence. From about 3 years they tend to flip a switch and become very mild mannered and quiet. By about that age they often ignore other dogs and possibly humans too. Most BTs I've met have been indifferent to dogs but 50:50 indifferent to humans too. They're bred to run with much larger hounds so can't be reactive or the pack would tear it apart. That's why they behave like that mostly as adults. Hard wired!

They're also possibly the most intelligent terrier breed. That's according to a couple of behavioural studies on dog breed intelligence. That's why they do actually train up well. They do occasionally have the terrier deaf ear but mostly pretty good.

Mine walked off the lead in countryside from a puppy about 10 weeks. At our puppy training class on her first session she learnt paw both left and right paw on command, sit, lie down and stay. In fact the stay involved setting her down one end of the hall, walking back to the other telling her to stay. Then after 10 seconds of her being settled I called her to me. She did it straight away. All the other dogs either ignored the stay, had to be held until the recall or got distracted by the hall of dogs on either side. The trainer was amazed and the other owners too, if a little annoyed. We stopped going after 2 or 3 sessions, there was no point she could do it!

There was this village fete once that had a sheepdog and ABC agility display. Afterwards they invited dog owners to give it a try. She was the only non collie that got close to completing it. I guess dog owners see their dog as perfect. Mine isn't just it trained itself very well, not has training it. Also, it trained us well too!

Fastpedaller

Off topic but a farmer's sign I once saw made me chuckle. It's in the lakes where there's a popular walk starting point. One circular route comes back down the other side of a hill spur. Walking around the bottom is a bit of a drag but you reach a point where there's a modest depth field you have to cross but the path skirts it towards the farm then same distance back to the parking spot. No rights of way through the field, which often only has one animal in it. Plus a farmer's sign.

Now I'm paraphrasing it here:

'Beware of the bull! It takes a fit runner 90 seconds to cross this field. The bull can do it in 45s! Please stick to the footpath around the field!
When I lived in Essex there was a sign at a farmer's field stating "trespassers will be shot" ...... I never saw anyone going through that field. At another farm track one day a group of us were going through and the farmer came out - seemed a good guy with a sense of humour, as he said " I'd prefer if you didn't go through here"...... and "I've seen you a few times but never got out quickly enough to speak to you" as he gestured to the fast-man amongst our group.

When I lived in Essex there was a sign at a farmer's field stating "trespassers will be shot" ...... I never saw anyone going through that field. At another farm track one day a group of us were going through and the farmer came out - seemed a good guy with a sense of humour, as he said " I'd prefer if you didn't go through here"...... and "I've seen you a few times but never got out quickly enough to speak to you" as he gestured to the fast-man amongst our group.

There's a farm up in the North West of lake district down one of the dead end valleys south of Cockermouth IIRC who's farmer was a bad sort who threatened people on public rights of way, even on the road I believe! Anyway he threatened some walkers by saying n he'd hey his gun and shoot them. They didn't take it seriously but he vans back and fired a shotgun in their direction. They got away. Anyway there were a few more gun based incidents before the police went in looking for him. He'd got away and I believe they eventually got him somewhere totally different like Eden Valley. He was jailed for various firearm charges and other offences I heard. IIRC it was a police officer who told me about that.

Not all farmers are nutters or a problem, many are good people.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Swans are rumoured to be able to break bones with a flap of their wings. On their own not worse but with young around and more than one yes. Especially the young part.

When I got back, I googled swans and kayaks in case I’d just been chicken! I found it’s a common problem and a swan did recently deflate and sink an inflatable kayak!

That was the beginning of the end of my kayaking career!

classic33

Leg End Member
Next time the Hound of the Baskervilles is trying to rip my throat out but there are no witnesses I will try to think of an alternative strategy!
Try what I was told to do, the side of your foot into its throat.

Only had to do it once and it worked. The owner was along shortly after, and after explaining he went away for the shotgun.

He wasn't willing to trust the dog going anywhere near his kids after that. Not the first time he'd heard of, but the first he saw. Off to the local doctor for treatment and a few stitches.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Next time the Hound of the Baskervilles is trying to rip my throat out but there are no witnesses I will try to think of an alternative strategy!
Speaking of the Hound of the Baskervilles...

I was toiling up a steep local hill on my bike when I heard a blood-curdling baying growl. I looked up ahead to my left and saw a huge Doberman racing across a field. I thought I was safe because there was a dry stone wall round the field, but no - the dog leapt over the wall and landed in the road ahead of me.

The dog was so desperate to get at me that its paws were slipping on the road cartoon-style as it tried to accelerate down the hill towards me!

I did a massive back-wheel slide through 180° and sprinted back down the hill with the Hound of the Baskervilles in hot pursuit. It got within about 10 ft of me but I had become a sprinting superstar and powered away from it.

Phew! Only problem was that I was now doing 40 mph into a tight RH bend. I had no choice but to lean the bike right over and try and snap my left pedal off. I managed to get round the bend, but I missed the kerb by only a couple of inches.

I knew someone who lived opposite where the dog came from. I mentioned the incident to him and he told me that the dog had already attacked two other people in recent weeks. I think it was taken away a few days later, presumably to be put down.
:eek:

Top Bottom