What were they thinking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They're still making these, this one is a 1948 build
1995morgan4-4.jpg

Attachments

• 1995morgan4-4.jpg
    1995morgan4-4.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 9

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
They're still making these, this one is a 1948 build
1995morgan4-4.jpg

I'd walk past that to get my hands on one of these.

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 08.34.35.png

Same maker, infinitely sassier.

Attachments

• 1995morgan4-4.jpg
    1995morgan4-4.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 8

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The old man on our street where I was born had a three-wheeled Morgan... it sounded fantastic..

A Morgan three wheeler on 'full chat' makes a glorious sound. I regret turning down the chance to purchase a tatty one thirty years ago. I didn't have the time or the wherewithal to fettle it and I fantasise about spending my pension lump sum on one but the prospect of simultaneous bachelorhood is a disincentive.

JMAG

Über Member
Even a Jaguar E-type isn't universally admired so no surprises, but I like the Atlantic. Used to have a 1955 MG Magnette ZA myself.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is them around Mallory park, I love how he waves the sidecar outfit back past so he's got someone to race against. They are well known for this, but once Hamish gets by Bill is after blood.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_XDt5ai5c&feature=player_detailpage

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A Morgan three wheeler on 'full chat' makes a glorious sound. I regret turning down the chance to purchase a tatty one thirty years ago. I didn't have the time or the wherewithal to fettle it and I fantasise about spending my pension lump sum on one but the prospect of simultaneous bachelorhood is a disincentive.
You remind me of my 'one that got away' - an old soft-top Triumph Vitesse that came up cheap due to rust. A friend and & agreed to go halves on it if his brother would agree to do the welding, but by the time he had the following day, someone had snapped it up.

That Austin Atlantic shows how much catching up the British car industry had to do post-war. Most cars looked like they were just the pre-war designs dusted off, whereas the Americans never stopped development and their production tended to change a lot more often. The Morris Minor appeared in 1948, this is Cadillacs offering for 1949
49-Cadillac_Clb_Cpe-DV-08-AI-01.jpg

Attachments

• 49-Cadillac_Clb_Cpe-DV-08-AI-01.jpg
    49-Cadillac_Clb_Cpe-DV-08-AI-01.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 4
I do agree the Atlantic was a bad car, a rake round the parts bin and a oversize body on a basic pre war car.
But remember at that time our definition of sports car was far different to Americans. We want it to go round a corner fast, Americans seem happy to not have this attribute.
Looks like someone described an American car down the phone to a man at Austin and they made what they imagined.

They kept on with the idea into the 50s with the Austin Nash Metropolitan

austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg

Attachments

• austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23
I do agree the Atlantic was a bad car, a rake round the parts bin and a oversize body on a basic pre war car.
But remember at that time our definition of sports car was far different to Americans. We want it to go round a corner fast, Americans seem happy to not have this attribute.
Looks like someone described an American car down the phone to a man at Austin and they made what they imagined.

They kept on with the idea into the 50s with the Austin Nash Metropolitan

That is quite hideous. it looks like it might be meant to float.

Attachments

• austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That is quite hideous. it looks like it might be meant to float.
It looks like an East German take on a decadent western sports car. As for the Atlantic, according to the programme it was designed not for the ladies but very avowedly for the American market, MG having demonstrated the potential with many export sales following up on returning GIs' souvenir MG Midgets. Unfortunately it was sluggish, overpriced, and packed with gadgets which, being British, rapidly fell to pieces. As well as being ugly as sin, of course.

Top Bottom