What were they thinking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1924 Swiftmobile anyone?

i131727.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
1924 Swiftmobile anyone?

View attachment 89494

I say, hard cheese old sport!

KneesUp

Guru
I do agree the Atlantic was a bad car, a rake round the parts bin and a oversize body on a basic pre war car.
But remember at that time our definition of sports car was far different to Americans. We want it to go round a corner fast, Americans seem happy to not have this attribute.
Looks like someone described an American car down the phone to a man at Austin and they made what they imagined.

They kept on with the idea into the 50s with the Austin Nash Metropolitan

austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg

The Nash Metrolpolitan was American designed by the American company Nash as a second car i.e. the one 'mom' used to do the shopping.

What is baffling is that Austin licensed it so they could make them too.

Attachments

• austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg
    austinmetronash%20001_2980.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If they'd just put the headlights behind curved glass lenses in the front of the wings it would have been fantastic.... and would have knocked spots off the much later Lotus Elan!

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
The Nash Metrolpolitan was American designed by the American company Nash as a second car i.e. the one 'mom' used to do the shopping.

What is baffling is that Austin licensed it so they could make them too.
Austin made them all. Nash had concluded that it wouldn't be cost-effective for an American factory, designed to make large cars, to build. They thus turned to a European manufacturer, and Austin won the contract.

Top Bottom