What's your plan for the Funeral Bank Holiday?

What's your plan for the funeral Bank Holiday?

• Attend funeral procession in person

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Watch it on the telly

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Go for a ride

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Other leisure activity

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Work

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Childcare / other caring duties

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Chores

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I noted on commercial channels they had to keep the ad breaks due to time slots but there was no advertising, just a picture of the Queen with a bit of classical music for 2-3 mins. So advertising is 'disrespectful' but having pint in Weatherspoons isn't?. Who makes this stuff up?.

There was ad-free streaming on Channel 4 last night. I'd imagine it would have been the decision of the advertisers for fear of being seen as trivialising.

There was ad-free streaming on Channel 4 last night. I'd imagine it would have been the decision of the advertisers for fear of being seen as trivialising.

Online media also stopped adverts yesterday.

I'm planning some DIY, theres not a DIY category on the poll.

I pulled up some floor boards and threaded earthing wires under the insulation and membrane. Had to cut the membrane and retape. Fiddly little job but it is ready for Sparks to connect up. If he gets it right earth to earth otherwise ashes to ashes. A fitting memorial.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder whether the bank holiday will have an impact on the economy as a whole?

Advertisers losing revenue, retailers losing revenue, productivity loss due to bank hol... I doubt it's been positive.

D

Deleted member 1258

I pulled up some floor boards and threaded earthing wires under the insulation and membrane. Had to cut the membrane and retape. Fiddly little job but it is ready for Sparks to connect up. If he gets it right earth to earth otherwise ashes to ashes. A fitting memorial.

I freshened up the paint in the kitchen, and treated the mold caused by the problem stop cock we sorted out earlier in the year

Petrichorwheels

View attachment 661635
Park Lane this morning.. I doubt I'll ever get the chance to do this again 😂

I went with drinks & food in my backpack expecting everything to be closed but I needn't have bothered. Lots of places open in the centre of the crowded areas.

glad you had a good day - didn't cycle up in the end - gone deaf (temporarily pretty sure as per other thread) so not safe on the bike.

Petrichorwheels

Err the difference in this situation is only fascists think woke is extreme. If you are against homophobia/ sexism and for social injustice you are woke whether you know it or not. It’s called being a nice human being in my book, which I still believe most people are. 😀

Not true.
Am against homophobia, real sexism (a term often stretched and not defined unfortunately) and for social justice, but wokery often means something else entirely and a fair bit of it I find not only gets on my tits, but can also be very dangerous and play into the hands of posturing bullies. LIberal leftie here - "political correctness" goes back to the 80s and as a politically correct bod I now and again then said it was just about being decent.
Wokery is something else.
As for "fascist", a much overused term - often used by bullies.
Fascism capital F was and is a real thing - suggest you use the term for Fascists, not folk who are insufficiently woke.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
glad you had a good day - didn't cycle up in the end - gone deaf (temporarily pretty sure as per other thread) so not safe on the bike.

Ear problems do make cycling a bit dodgy, don't they! Hope yours improves soon.
I saw and chatted to a fair few people who'd cycled into town but, obviously now, none of them were you 🤗

Petrichorwheels

I noted on commercial channels they had to keep the ad breaks due to time slots but there was no advertising, just a picture of the Queen with a bit of classical music for 2-3 mins. So advertising is 'disrespectful' but having pint in Weatherspoons isn't?. Who makes this stuff up?.

?
spoons were closed until 1pm on the holiday.
which was fair enough I thought.
their attitude seemed balanced and sensible.

Petrichorwheels

Ear problems do make cycling a bit dodgy, don't they! Hope yours improves soon.
I saw and chatted to a fair few people who'd cycled into town but, obviously now, none of them were you 🤗

obvs now?
you thought one or two may have been me undercover?
(often when out and about I ask cyclists I meet if they are on any cycling forums - never had a "yes" yet - I have my suspicions)

Exlaser2

Veteran
Not true.
Am against homophobia, real sexism (a term often stretched and not defined unfortunately) and for social injustice, but wokery often means something else entirely and a fair bit of it I find not only gets on my tits, but can also be very dangerous and play into the hands of posturing bullies. LIberal leftie here - "political correctness" goes back to the 80s and as a politically correct bod I now and again then said it was just about being decent.
Wokery is something else.
As for "fascist", a much overused term - often used by bullies.
Fascism capital F was and is a real thing - suggest you use the term for Fascists, not folk who are insufficiently woke.

So back to my original point . Your woke whether like it or not because the right have widened the meaning and now use the word as a weapon against people just like you . 😕
Anyone left of centre is now called woke by the right, you had better get used to it quickly .😕

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

So back to my original point . Your woke whether like it or not because the right have widened the meaning and now use the word as a weapon against people just like you . 😕

sorry - don't agree - perfectly possible to be liberal leftie for all the good stuff and still find some aspects of what is now wokery more than dangerous.
Am old enough (but not too old) to know that folks can mis-use the best of ideals for personal ends.
In fact I owe this realisation to the 80s and a period in a very liberal leftie office - aspects of which I started to see through, after first being delighted.
Posturing egomaniacs and bullies will use anything - lots and lots of examples in history.
little new under the sun.
bloody near miracle I still have any ideals after some of the stuff I've seen.

Top Bottom