What's your plan for the Funeral Bank Holiday?

What's your plan for the funeral Bank Holiday?

• Attend funeral procession in person

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Watch it on the telly

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Go for a ride

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Other leisure activity

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Work

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Childcare / other caring duties

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Chores

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder whether the bank holiday will have an impact on the economy as a whole?

Advertisers losing revenue, retailers losing revenue, productivity loss due to bank hol... I doubt it's been positive.

It's no different to a well regarded high street butcher who closes down for a few days to grief for his lost spouse. People understand and it is a loss of income for the business. 70 years is a long time. It's not all about money.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

If I revealed my favourite wild camping spots to you, I'd have to shoot you 😉

well yep am generally against them being publicised but this isn't a camping "where to wild camp" thread so I don't think the internet will find your post/swamp it.
I don't post mine in threads on wildcamping, nor share them with anyone apart from trusted individuals via unhackable email - but then many folk wouldn't want to wildcamp in some of the places I have curled up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's no different to a well regarded high butcher who closes down for a few days to grief for his lost spouse. People understand and it is a loss of income for the business. 70 years is a long time. It's not all about money.

No need to be so defensive

I'm just curious about what impact an additional short-notice the bank hol would have on the economy, which is not exactly thriving at the moment. For all I know the funeral and associated social activity may have given it a boost.

But I would say nothing at all like a single butcher shutting up shop for the day.

Exlaser2

Veteran
sorry - don't agree - perfectly possible to be liberal leftie for all the good stuff and still find some aspects of what is now wokery more than dangerous.
Am old enough (but not too old) to know that folks can mis-use the best of ideals for personal ends.
In fact I owe this realisation to the 80s and a period in a very liberal leftie office - aspects of which I started to see through, after first being delighted.
Posturing egomaniacs and bullies will use anything - lots and lots of examples in history.
little new under the sun.
bloody near miracle I still have any ideals after some of the stuff I've seen.

At least we are on the side that can agree to disagree with out being called a traitor to the flag/king/ country etc

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seeing as the original thread regarding the Queen's death was hijacked by those who want to turn everything political, I can only post my question on this thread. All I want to know is do any of you know the title of this marching music played at her Majesty's funeral yesterday? It's become an ear worm for me. I'd like to identify it.🤔

Please do not turn this last remaining thread about her death into another political slanging match, resulting in another thread being locked!🧐

No need to be so defensive

I'm just curious about what impact an additional short-notice the bank hol would have on the economy, which is not exactly thriving at the moment. For all I know the funeral and associated social activity may have given it a boost.

But I would say nothing at all like a single butcher shutting up shop for the day.

Just looking at the shopping side of things - I'd be buying the same amount of stuff this week - just over 6 days than 7.

I remember when supermarkets closed at 8 and were shut on Sundays. Now they're open 24/7.
Far more overheads but I'm still only buying the same amount.

Not true.
Am against homophobia, real sexism (a term often stretched and not defined unfortunately) and for social justice, but wokery often means something else entirely and a fair bit of it I find not only gets on my tits, but can also be very dangerous and play into the hands of posturing bullies. LIberal leftie here - "political correctness" goes back to the 80s and as a politically correct bod I now and again then said it was just about being decent.
Wokery is something else.
As for "fascist", a much overused term - often used by bullies.
Fascism capital F was and is a real thing - suggest you use the term for Fascists, not folk who are insufficiently woke.

That's pretty much where I stand as well. "Woke" is a relatively recent term used to describe the movement coming out of Critical Theory, which is a very specific ideology. It's founding fathers were openly Marxist.

Of course not everyone who thinks they're following "woke" ideology will subscribe to these extreme views, but the basis of the ideology is not as nice and harmless as people think.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Seeing as the original thread regarding the Queen's death was hijacked by those who want to turn everything political, I can only post my question on this thread. All I want to know is do any of you know the title of this marching music played at her Majesty's funeral yesterday? It's become an ear worm for me. I'd like to identify it.🤔

Please do not turn this last remaining thread about her death into another political slanging match, resulting in another thread being locked!🧐

The BBC published a guide to the order of service on their website. The music should be listed there.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Beethoven's Funeral Marches No. 1, 2, and 3, Mendelssohn's Funeral March, and Chopin's Funeral March.

Petrichorwheels

That's pretty much where I stand as well. "Woke" is a relatively recent term used to describe the movement coming out of Critical Theory, which is a very specific ideology. It's founding fathers were openly Marxist.

Of course not everyone who thinks they're following "woke" ideology will subscribe to these extreme views, but the basis of the ideology is not as nice and harmless as people think.

have the impression that it's particularly strong in certain academic circles.
Folk paid by the public purse/humble taxpayer to then use that to tell folk paying them that they are crap.
Puts me in mind of tithe funded medieval priests condemning folk who pay them and damning them to their local community.
Somewhat put out by a speaker at a london academic conference who spent most of her address - without any particular justification in my view - telling joe public that they were racist, I - at the after-reception - told her that I thought she should stay in academia.
Her response was: "I didn't come here to be criticised".
So back to her echo chamber.

have the impression that it's particularly strong in certain academic circles.
Folk paid by the public purse/humble taxpayer to then use that to tell folk paying them that they are crap.
Puts me in mind of tithe funded medieval priests condemning folk who pay them and damning them to their local community.
Somewhat put out by a speaker at a london academic conference who spent most of her address - without any particular justification in my view - telling joe public that they were racist, I - at the after-reception - told her that I thought she should stay in academia.
Her response was: "I didn't come here to be criticised".
So back to her echo chamber.

That's a central belief of Critical Theory; to be white is to be r*cist because r*cism was created by white people to suppress people of colour. It was first really expressed by Robin DiAngelo and has become a common part of the ideology, along with the idea of "white fragility" which is that a white person protesting against the charge that they are r*cist, is in itself proof of r*cism. The same basic principle is the basis of Feminist theory and Queer theory.

It is a common ideology in universities and academia. I used to worry that the people pushing it would cause problems for social care, because the methods of CRT are very divisive and our organisation could potentially be a powder keg with the nationalities and racial groups we deal with every day, but they don't bother with us.

Top Bottom