What's your winter project?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Just got my latest (And last!) Rudge Pathfinder frame back from Argos Cycles, ready to rebuild over the cold months. Pics later today when I unwrap it. This is the 1956 frame I have been looking for to rebuild my childhood bike. Got the bits, just waiting for some chrome to be done before the rebuild.

It will be SA 4 speed with 50s/60s uprated bars and bits and will be a stablemate for a 60s Pathfinder Phase III with an 8 speed Cyclo gear set up.

What's your winter project???

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My winter project is to lose weight and to do more cycling!

I normally gain weight and do less cycling in the winter, but since I've already done that throughout 2010 so far, I don't have any room for further slacking. I want to have a good cycling year in 2011 and that implies starting to lose weight now, otherwise the entire first half of 2011 will be spent doing it.

potsy

Rambler
My winter project is to lose weight and to do more cycling!

I normally gain weight and do less cycling in the winter, but since I've already done that throughout 2010 so far, I don't have any room for further slacking. I want to have a good cycling year in 2011 and that implies starting to lose weight now, otherwise the entire first half of 2011 will be spent doing it.

+1 to that. Been a bad year for me weight wise,done plenty of mileage but am eating way too much and have done most of the year.
Planning to keep on the bike in all but the very worst weather and hopefully can have a bit more willpower to resist the food.

stevevw

Guru
I need it to be a long winter

Project 1
1977 Claud Butler Dalesman.
This one is getting out of hand. What started as a bit of a clean so my son could use it for a winter bike is currently at the painters and other parts at the chromers. probably end up being his summer bike. :rolleyes:

Project 2
1964 Freddie Grubb Super Routier
This is mine, bought the frame which had been painted matt black including the lovely head badge :angry: Also at the painters/chromers due back next week. I have been collecting a lot of good and NOS parts for this one. Mainly early 60's Campagnolo including some rather nice Record hubed sprints.

Project 3

196? Carlton Franco Italia

This one is stripped and waiting to be cleaned. It has very nice chromed lugs which I am thinking about getting re done before it goes off to the painters. I am having trouble with the GB Coureur 66 brakes the GB logos are not very good so need replacing, not worked out how to do this yet. Any ideas? http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/gb.html the ones about 2/3rds down the page. I have bought some more with slightly better logo's but still not happy.

Project 4

1950 Raleigh Lenton Sports

This is going to be a Christmas present to myself. I am using every part of the original bike and restoring rather than replacing. Only the tyres/tubes and brake blocks will be new, I am even slightly shortening the original cables to take out the stretch in them. Probably will cost more than the carbon race bike did to build. Never mind it is a piece of history that will live for another 60 years. Oh and I have to admit that I have brazed up the screwdriver slot on a bolt that had the slot mangled over the years then re cut the slot before sending off to be re chromed :wacko: My wife says I am obsessive, She may be correct. :laugh:

Just bought a 70's Freddie Grubb Galibier and have a Carlton, Muddy Fox and Raleigh all waiting to be brought back to life. Perhaps next winter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Kirk Precision MTB and Raleigh 401Ti Dynatech SS - both ground-up rebuilds from bare frames.
I expect to spend most of January and February in the shed with a big Fettling Stick.

Oh dear, this is bad news. The house & mortgage stopped my rebuilding old car days, now you've put the idea of restoring classic bikes in my head!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I want to make a sail for my sit on top kayak.

Attachments

• new sail.jpg
    new sail.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 87
I am going start work on a laminated plywood framed fixie .... .... ..... ..... I want a fixie, and I just love making things from plywood.

I found some photos of a home-built laminated plywood bike on the net while I was googling about last week, and thought what the hell; that'd make a nice on-going project for me to do over the winter on slow days up at the workshop.

Here is a couple of photos of the plywood bike that I've culled from the net;

Bent-Plywood-Bicycle1.jpg

FG59B1WGEG58KGLMEDIUM1.jpg

zigzag

Veteran
my project would clear out all bike related junk that i have accumulated, carry on riding longer distances to improve my fitness for next years pbp. i'd love create some odd looking carbon bike, but i need more knowledge, time and space for this.

Goldie

Über Member
Two relatively chunky bike rebuilds - free, wheel-less Dawes Galaxy (with free rust). It looks like it's had a hard paper round and it deserves a bitof TLC:

DSC02565.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

And more pleasurably, Viscount Aerospace Pro:

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02575.jpg

And I'd like to have the Popeye like legs and marathon runner's stamina to do the Viscount justice by the time it's back on the road too. Not sure how that squares with eating my own bodyweight in mince pies over the festive period...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I want to make a sail for my sit on top kayak.

I just happen to operate the world largest sail cutting laser in Europes largest sail loft and I am a kayaker. So if I can help PM me. I would like to know how you intend to rig it to the kayak.

http://www.elvstroms...id=33&Itemid=36

My winter project is to continue restoring my 1956 Moto Guzzi Cardellino and also learn about AUDAX events.

Collecting the bike from the UK

IMG_7633.jpg

A little while after

thIMG_8624.jpg

Where I am up to

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

Just to keep it on a bike theme. I have just ordered a RED Bacchetta Giro 26 and so now I have BIG RED, LITTLE RED and the Giro will be SIMPLY RED. :biggrin:

Steve

Top Bottom