What's your winter project?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
swoons a Guzzi and an aerospace pro on the same page. waves of happy nostalgia, well except that my viscount tried to kill me when the forks let go on a time trial on the A264 in the late 70's. and, come to that, my last Guzzi ate its bevel box.

lukesdad

Rebuild my S Works M4.

Goldie

Über Member
swoons a Guzzi and an aerospace pro on the same page. waves of happy nostalgia, well except that my viscount tried to kill me when the forks let go on a time trial on the A264 in the late 70's. and, come to that, my last Guzzi ate its bevel box.

Oh b***er! I've been looking at the forks on mine every time I go into the cellar trying to build up a warm feeling of absolute confidence in their stregth and integrity. Did yours seperate at the join between the alloy forks and steel tube Greg?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh b***er! I've been looking at the forks on mine every time I go into the cellar trying to build up a warm feeling of absolute confidence in their stregth and integrity. Did yours seperate at the join between the alloy forks and steel tube Greg?

I can't remember what happened (big time concussion) and the bike was a write off. My day, who'd bought it for me from a work mate as a birthday present knew nowt about bikes and it went to the local tip whilst I was in hospital. My recollection one moment I'm steaming along a dual carriageway the next someone is emptying a water bottle into my face. Gave up cycling and focussed on playing Rugby.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am going start work on a laminated plywood framed fixie .... .... ..... ..... I want a fixie, and I just love making things from plywood.

I found some photos of a home-built laminated plywood bike on the net while I was googling about last week, and thought what the hell; that'd make a nice on-going project for me to do over the winter on slow days up at the workshop.

Here is a couple of photos of the plywood bike that I've culled from the net;

Bent-Plywood-Bicycle1.jpg

FG59B1WGEG58KGLMEDIUM1.jpg

I like the look of that! Does it have any reinforcement or is it just plywood and PVA?

My 'off and on' winter project is this set of shelves....

winterproject.jpg

nowhere near finished but I want my kitchen back!

Goldie

Über Member
Bits are going back on the Aerospace, after I finally managed to score some blue leather toe straps at the Manchester cycle jumble:

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02769.jpg

DSC02768.jpg

Father Christmas is late delivering a new Brooks so that there's something to go between my bum and the seat post. Since found out that Viscount had Middlemores make the saddles for Aerospaces - doh!

tyred

Legendary Member
Some nice projects on the go.

I'm working on a wartime Elswick myself. Just a basic single speed roadster with no chrome due to wartime shortages and oddly enough, hub brakes back and front.

Goldie

Über Member
That sounds great. My dad has a Waverley in his garage which is a bit similar - black all over, no chrome, massive white patch on the rear wheel arch so you can see it in the black out.

The Aerospace Pro is nearly done...

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

New decals courtesy of Busaste on the CTC forum I've kept whatever I can so it doesn't look over restored but the down tube decal and rings on the seat tube were nearly gone...

DSC02816.jpg

Old Brooks standing in for new B17 Narrow, still stuck somewhere between Birmingham and my letterbox...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Kirk Precision MTB and Raleigh 401Ti Dynatech SS - both ground-up rebuilds from bare frames.
I expect to spend most of January and February in the shed with a big Fettling Stick.

Update - the Dynatech is pictured here. Tis a cracking ride :biggrin:

Goldie

Über Member
Well, inevitably the "winter project" became somewhat summery in character... but both the Dawes and the Viscount are back on the road. And blimey, that 531 ST that the Dawes is made out of is lovely to ride on -all springy and resilient. I've had it out on my usual evening ride route, which includes potholes the size of casserole dishes, and both my bum and my wrists are saying it's a nicer ride over broken surfaces than anything else I own. Sorry about the dodgy pictures - my good camera is taking a break...

P5300070.jpg

P5300066.jpg

P5300068.jpg

Goldie

Über Member
It started off as a drizzly mess of a day in the Manc, but it had turned fine and sunny by 11. So I took the Viscount out for a run round north Cheshire, through High Legh, Stretton and Arley and then over to Warrington and back home on the Trans Pennine Trail. The countryside around there looked superb in the aumtumn sunshine and the bike was on top form, putting in a storming run up the rise to High Legh, where I was shamelessly giving it my best Tour de France impression chasing a couple of lads on Cannondale and Giant Defy... Here it is keeping some autumn leaves company on the way to Arley:

DSC03783.jpg

DSC03782.jpg

zzpza

Goldie, that's a mighty fine lookin' bike!

Mine is an unknown vintage (70's or 80's) Dawes Ambassador that hasn't been looked after well. :sad: The plan is a nice Brooks, Dapper Dan grips, new 27" rims, S2C, 3N30, B&M Senso front and rear, all with hidden wiring (well, as much as possible).

6365841415_5d7f4c0880_z.jpg

This needed a blow torch to get off... :sad:

6365870823_f56753c071_z.jpg

cycleruk

nothing started yet but after christmas my commuter will need all the drive line replacing. I need to wait till the snow passes as i dont wont to come off the day after fitting over 100 pounds worth of wheels and so on!. i am also looking at buliding a full suspension bike as well, again the snow needs to come and go before i start as the roads around here can get quite bad and would mean the parts may not get here...... so, snow if you can hear me, the front door is there and the back door is behind you!!!:smile:

Top Bottom