When designing infrastructure for new cyclists, ignore the existing ones, says study

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Quite. Yet again no-one seems to have noticed all those cyclists riding round Oxford and Cambridge in ordinary clothes without segregation...
and that is the key to the laziness in this publication. No differentiation between towns where cycling is increasing exponentially and towns where it is moribund. No understanding whatsoever about permeability. No real inquiry in to what cycling is for, and certainly no understanding that it is a means to an end. And, since the single motive is, apparently, to reduce reliance on car driving, no appreciation of how car travel can be disincentivised, and urban form made more amenable to cycling and walking. It's a talentless, witless piece of work, but that I don't mind so much as that fact that we paid a million quid for it. I want the money back.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
and that is the key to the laziness in this publication. No differentiation between towns where cycling is increasing exponentially and towns where it is moribund. No understanding whatsoever about permeability. No real inquiry in to what cycling is for, and certainly no understanding that it is a means to an end. And, since the single motive is, apparently, to reduce reliance on car driving, no appreciation of how car travel can be disincentivised, and urban form made more amenable to cycling and walking. It's a talentless, witless piece of work, but that I don't mind so much as that fact that we paid a million quid for it. I want the money back.
OK, that I agree with. It's not so much what they did, it's what they didn't do. :thumbsup:

snibgo

Yes, I tried that. And reading it while no other software was running. And downloading it again.

enas

Über Member
Another view on this study can be found here.

I agree with the entirety of this text, both about the wrong and largely exaggerated negative interpretation of the reports findings, and genearally about the opinion that the report is mostly stating obvious facts, nothing very controversial indeed.

Here's a quote:
The words it uses - to reiterate - are 'do not base policies on [their] views and experiences’. This is not the same as ‘ignoring’. I ‘do not base’ my cooking repertoire on chips, but this does not mean they are absent from my meals. ‘Basing’ a policy of increasing cycling levels on the views and experiences of those who are currently put off from cycling does not preclude the input of those who do cycle.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
First, it is essential that the urban environment is made safe for cyclists and pedestrians. This requires the provision of fully segregated routes on all arterial and other busy roads in urban areas. It is clear from the research that most non-cyclists and recreational cyclists will only consider cycling regularly if they are segregated from traffic, and that pedestrians are hostile to pavement cyclists.

that's bollocks for a start. Has he not looked at the A24?
What's really sad (and that's £963,000 sad) is that the man has absolutely no conception of public space. No clue as to how land values affect trip generation and vice versa. And maybe my Adobe reader is playing up (I've just updated it) but there's no mention of the word 'bus'. Because, as the great Dave Holladay (who could have produced a better report for nine hundred and sixty three quid) has it 'when it rains you need more buses'

stowie

Legendary Member
First, it is essential that the urban environment is made safe for cyclists and pedestrians. This requires the provision of fully segregated routes on all arterial and other busy roads in urban areas. It is clear from the research that most non-cyclists and recreational cyclists will only consider cycling regularly if they are segregated from traffic, and that pedestrians are hostile to pavement cyclists.

that's bollocks for a start. Has he not looked at the A24?
What's really sad (and that's £963,000 sad) is that the man has absolutely no conception of public space. No clue as to how land values affect trip generation and vice versa. And maybe my Adobe reader is playing up (I've just updated it) but there's no mention of the word 'bus'. Because, as the great Dave Holladay (who could have produced a better report for nine hundred and sixty three quid) has it 'when it rains you need more buses'

To be fair, the report was specifically concerning walking and cycling.

I have only skimmed the report, but it doesn't appear to be particularly controversial. The paragraph which implies "ignoring existing cyclists" says that policies should not be based upon the views of existing committed cyclists and walkers. This has been clarified by the writer that he meant shouldn't be solely based. I am guessing that he wanted to make a point and the paragraph reads very badly. There is a point in all this hyperbole though. If I am looking to increase the usage of my product, I may ask current users what they like about it, but would be also very interested indeed in understanding the views of potential users. I also agree that cycle policy hasn't been made bad by listening to current cyclists, but by not listening to anyone.

Interestingly the survey indicates that the reason people don't cycle is not only the "danger" problem. Looking a bit silly in a plastic hat and being sweaty were also cited. I guess the plastic hat wearing may relate to the perceived danger of cycling, but the sweaty issue intrigues me. Do the dutch - with their similar climate - not worry about being sweaty? Have they somehow removed their sweat glands? Or maybe they are OK with smelly? Why are we worried when they aren't?

Dan B

Disengaged member
the sweaty issue intrigues me. Do the dutch - with their similar climate - not worry about being sweaty? Have they somehow removed their sweat glands? Or maybe they are OK with smelly? Why are we worried when they aren't?
Because our image of a cyclist is the sports cyclist, not the elderly-woman-cycling-to-church cyclist. It's perfectly possible to cycle places and not get sweaty, if you're not having to move at car-comparable speeds in order to establish your space on the road

jonesy

Guru
Agreed, but it isn't just speed of course: Dutch cycling distances are short, as they are in places in the UK with high levels of utility cycling. It would be interesting to get some real data (from existing cyclists...) on how far people will cycle to work in normal clothes and without a shower.

byegad

Legendary Member
:thumbsup:
Essentially that's what happens now. So our infrastructure is shoot, and once the new cyclist realises that, they either move to the road, or give up.

...edit...
:bravo:

AND far too many of them give up as they can't make progress for the unnecessary signs and multiple give ways built into the stupid 'infrastructure' which makes cycling seem more dangerous than it actually is.

You'd think they were doing it on purpose!

al78

Guru
Quite. Yet again no-one seems to have noticed all those cyclists riding round Oxford and Cambridge in ordinary clothes without segregation...

They aren't really typical examples of UK towns and cities though.

Both have high student populations, the colleges are spread about the town, parking is difficult and expensive and students are prohibited from bringing their cars with them. That doesn't leave a lot of options left for getting about other than walking and cycling.

jonesy

Guru
Again, it isn't just the students that cycle in Oxford and Cambridge Don't forget that the modal share figure most usually reported is for travel to work, i.e not students. I'd agee they aren't 'typical' towns- apart from anything else they've got a high modal share for cycing! Don't you think researchers ought to be more interested in why that might be? I also agree limited parking and traffic restraint are important factors , but that is most definitely relevant to other towns, university or not. People will cycle if it is advantageous to do so in comparison with other modes.

Richard Mann

Essentially what happened in Oxford is that people realised that they could never make enough room for cars, and they needed to find alternatives if they wanted the city to thrive. There was a whole lot done (bike lanes, bus lanes, quiet bike routes) to improve alternatives, and a lot done to make parking less available / more expensive. In two stages, traffic has been pushed out of the centre, with buses getting less congestion and faster routes as a result.

I'd say the hard part is getting started. And a key part of getting started is a belief that change is both possible & desirable.

Top Bottom