When should one stop running up the stairs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The stairs at my flat seem to be a particularly tiring sort - I'm afraid I plod up them. When I got back after my century, I contemplated just sleeping in the hallway downstairs instead.

Inspired now, I will try to run up them today. It's not so bad when I'm on foot with a rucksack, but carrying a pannier or two is more awkward.

I did run up the last 20 or so of the steps at the Pyramid of the Moon at Teotihuacan, to show off to friends. Luckily, what with the steps and altitude, they all took so long, I'd got some semblance of breath back when they also reached the top...:biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dave5N said:
nobody's going for it, Dave....

PaulB

Legendary Member
I once went to Aspen in Colorado and at the time, I was as fit as the proverbial. I was messing about with our kids and chased them up the outside stairs of the hotel we were staying at and it felt like I'd have to cease staircase running, or any other form of running as I felt like I was about 60 years old and I was only in my late 30s. Ladies and gentlemen, the deleterious effects of gravity!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PaulB said:
I once went to Aspen in Colorado and at the time, I was as fit as the proverbial. I was messing about with our kids and chased them up the outside stairs of the hotel we were staying at and it felt like I'd have to cease staircase running, or any other form of running as I felt like I was about 60 years old and I was only in my late 30s. Ladies and gentlemen, the deleterious effects of gravity!
I think you being at an altitude of 7,890 ft (2,405 m) might have had something to do with it! :blush:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I HATE them........:sad: They scare me:angry:

Stairs every time for me.(and I run up them;))

levad

Veteran
I still run up stairs, and down when I have forgotten what I ran up for, and back up again etc. etc.

In my youth I remember a trip to London, we travelled on the Underground and I declared I would not use the escalators, I would hop up and down the stairs :sad: I was cream jaquard at the end of the day.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Once ran up the stairs at Newcastle Civic Centre [can't remember why... and it wasn't even yesterday] -all 10 levels to look at the view from the top floor, it was worth it! You forget the pain...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I always use stairs in preference to a lift, when I last stayed in a hotel in Helsinki I used the old central staircase and ran up and down the five flights each time. The staircase was obviously never used, it was like the complaints room in the Carlsberg advert. I had to get the desk to unlock the staircase when I wanted to go up - I was told off by security in the end they said I to use the lift!!! didn't though.....

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
38 and still running up the stairs.
When I haven't been on my bike, I do it to keep up my fitness.
When I have been on my bike, I do it to prove that I have something left in the tank.
When there is a cute woman with a nice backside ahead of me, I do it to prove that I'm not letching.
When there isn't a cute woman, I do it as there is nothing better to do.
When someone is taking the lift, I do it to beat the lift.
When no one is taking the lift, I do it to beat those on the stairs.

Apparently my Grandfather could always be detected at the office (he was the big boss man), as he always ran up stairs.

I'll do it until I can't coordinate my legs quickly enough.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I was at Uni I used to take great delight in beating the lift to the 5th floor by using the fire escape stairs... great fun to watch people faces as the lift doors opened and they found me ahead of them in the que for the refectory :biggrin:

and I could probable still do it...

Top Bottom