When should one stop running up the stairs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Shaun said:
You say that like 58 is old :ohmy:

No. You read that like 58 is old. :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to work on the 4th floor of an old mill and the entrance to the building was to the ground floor from the car park. I'd stroll in some mornings as colleagues were squeezing into the lift and they'd insist on holding the doors open for me. I'd just smile and walk straight past towards the stairs and they'd look at me as if I was mad. As soon as the lift doors closed I'd start running. 3 double flights of stairs later I'd be casually standing on the top floor by the lift as the doors opened. I loved the gobsmacked looks on the guys' faces... :ohmy:

I was 47 at the time. There was an older, fitter cyclist there who used to be able to run up from the ground floor to the top about 10 seconds faster than me!

D

Deleted member 1258

661-Pete said:
OK then, I'm 59. To be honest I don't really sprint up stairs any more (as if I ever did :ohmy:) but I still take them at a brisk pace. If you can, you can do it, no question. If doing it gives you angina or persistent palpitations, off to the doc's with you!

Been there, done that, now I am running up and down stairs like I used to.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
There was an old guy that came into Millets today. He asked where men's jackets were and we said upstairs.
He came over to me and said, he needs to prepair himself for the stairs.

He wife then came over and said, "is he trying the old man thing? Don't listen to him, he goes out and does 50 miles on his bike with people 20 years younger every week"
When the woman came back downstairs, she said the guy was 80! He didn't bloody look 80!

Plax

Guru
Thinking about this, I realise that I tend to run up my stairs as a matter of course. I never run down them though.............

Night Train

Maker of Things
Dave5N said:
I'm a bit older then that and I still run up and down the stairs two at a time.
I live in a tall house and it is the best way of getting about it in a reasonable amount of time.

When someone rings the door bell when I am on the top floor I have to run down the stairs as they generally get fed up waiting and then leave if I were to walk down.

TVC

Running up the stairs should be confined to the under fives and the incontinent, If you have full control of your bladder there is no need to run upstairs. The one exception is if there is a blond, naked, 21 year old waiting for you (gender according to your preference).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Velvet Curtain said:
Running up the stairs should be confined to the under fives and the incontinent, If you have full control of your bladder there is no need to run upstairs.
There is no need to get on a bicycle and go and ride in a 100 mile circle ending up several hours later back where you started from but we still do it! It's fun and it keeps us fit. Just like running up stairs. Running down stairs isn't quite so sensible, mind you; one trip and you could be in trouble... :ohmy:

PaulB

Legendary Member
You don't stop running up stairs because you get old. You get old because you stop running up stairs. And being born a long time ago and not dying, obviously.

gbb

Legendary Member
51 and still running up stairs...with a cup of tea. I dont spill it....ive always done it.

Mind, on holiday in Spain last month, i was struggling to run up 5 floors...i think it was the heat :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
You stop running up stairs when you run out of stairs or energy to do so. Age has nought to with it. Personally I spring up them two at a time quickly.

PaulB said:
You don't stop running up stairs because you get old. You get old because you stop running up stairs. And being born a long time ago and not dying, obviously.
Sounds like one of my favourite sayings: Growing old is mandatory. Growing up, however is entirely optional.

Top Bottom