When you where in school..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I wanted to be a Doctor.

I'm now studying Zoology which could lead to being able to train as a vet.

ChrisKH

Guru
I wanted to be what I am now, but didn't have the self confidence to believe I could achieve it until I was much older. There's a moral there.

Maz

Guru
Dad: So, Son, what do you want to do when you're as big as your old dad?
Son: Go on a diet!

I wanted to be a pilot. But I was told I couldn't be that because I was a girl, and the best I could hope for was air hostess.
Then I wanted to be a vulcanologist. But I'm too thick at chemistry.
Then I wanted to be a musician, but lost the use of my arms in my teens because of a congenital deformity.
I trained to be a lawyer, but hated it.
So now I am a social scientist and a crap accordion player, and I've always been a cyclist :evil:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I wanted to run my own game fishing boat in the Caribbean making loads of money off rich American tourists. Now I teach English in SW Germany, which is OK actually.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I didn't know what I wanted to be.
Now I seem to waste my time trying to convince biologists during interviews that Maths is a science and I am interested in their area. I've taken up cycling in the mean time though :ohmy:.

Night Train

Maker of Things
At primary school I wanted to be an astronaut or a truck driver.
At secondary school I wanted to be astrophyicist or an actor.
At college I wanted to be a mechanical engineer designing military vehicles or a test driver for them.
At university I wanted to teach or do accident investigation (after my brother was killed in a car crash).

Now I teach hand crafted furniture and design.
I still study cosmology and design suspension systems for off road vehicles just for fun. And I act.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I got so fed up with my parents' friends asking me the same question that I started telling them I wanted to be a nuclear physicist, which was a new job in the sixties. That used to shut 'em up!

All through school and college whenever I saw the careers advisor, on hearing that I was doing languages they would say: "You can be a teacher, a translator or an interpreter". Nobody ever mentioned my present career in export sales, travelling around the world at my employer's expense and meeting loads of nice hospitable people.

ChrisKH

Guru
User3143 said:
I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF when I was about 7.

Then changed my mind and wanted to be an accountant, after a few years of dossing through my late teens and early 20's am now half through my accountancy exams.

Hard bit to come then? :ohmy:

Greedo

Wanted to be an architect and missed one higher (don't know what you call them outside Scotland GSEC, GCE whatever) so was told I had to resit. Didn't want to do that and went and got a job as a printer:ohmy: (don't know why) Lasted 2 years of watching a machine all day and working with old grumpy retards and went to live in Val d'Isere for a ski season. Came back and got a job with BT in a sales job, moved onto recruitment and worked there for years recruiting Finance Diredtors, Finance controllers and finance managers.

Was going to set up my own recruitment company due to all the contacts I had. Mrs Greedo aptly pointed out that you should do something you enjoy when you set up a business and I certainly didn't enjoy recruitment. I've always been handy, so bit the bullet and packed in my job, bought a house, done it up and sold it. The rest is history as now enjoy it to the full.

Love the planning side of what I do though and love dealing with the architects at the design stage. Sorry for the long winded answer but I'm half cut!

Am I alone??

I have never ever been able to think of anything I wanted to do so much that I would spend five days a week doing it.

Work is just a way of getting money for me. I do not resent the time spent as I am realistic in knowing the world does not owe me a living but really if I had the money I could find lots of better things to do with my time.

I am envious of anyone who really enjoys their job.

Top Bottom