Where to buy vegan ingredients?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Right, now well into phase II of my "regain my fitness" campaign and I've decided to dip a toe into the World of Veganism.

Got some cookbooks, but most of the recipes contain things that I can't pronounce, let alone have ever heard of and don't seem to be stocked by the usual supermarkets.
I've no doubt I can buy some of this stuff in the local health food shops, but they tend to be incredibly expensive.

Is there an online retailer that anybody can recommend?

I bought a couple of vegan cookbooks. Looked at one which listed all the ingredients you needed for the first week's cooking. Looked at all the blenders and whiskers and what-not I needed to cook them. Then decided, no, I'm alright with my tins of bombay potatoes, chickpea dahl, frozen peas and oven-ready chips.

AndyRM

XOXO
I bought a couple of vegan cookbooks. Looked at one which listed all the ingredients you needed for the first week's cooking. Looked at all the blenders and whiskers and what-not I needed to cook them. Then decided, no, I'm alright with my tins of bombay potatoes, chickpea dahl, frozen peas and oven-ready chips.

That must have been a fairly crap book. You don't need any more equipment or ingredients to cook a vegan meal than you would a "normal" one.

AndyRM

XOXO
You do, however, need an overwhelming sense of your own importance and a missionary zeal....:evil:

^_^

You know, I've often wondered where this stereotype came from. None of the 10 or so vegans I know now (or the many I've known through my life) are remotely interested in promoting their diet or lifestyle. The Sun or Thatcher are probably to blame somehow...

The fruitarians on the other hand are insufferably boring. Every time I meet them I get another tip on how to substitute bananas for just about anything.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 4224490, member: 259"]I was pottering around in the local wholefood shop recently and I came across a packet of sosmix - I used to live on that stuff and I thought it had vanished forever!:hungry:[/QUOTE]

As a student I got the measurements for a packet of sosmix badly wrong and ended up with a gigantic fritter of oily disappointment. Undeterred I ate the whole thing and spent the next 24 hours expunging the horror from my body in a painful and explosive manner.

I'm much less cavalier about measurements these days...

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I realise this a thread resurrection, but it would be good to know how @Panter got on with their diet.

I have tried really hard to be vegan form the 1st Jan 2016, mainly for health reasons. Not missed milk or eggs at all. the only problem is avoiding them as they are in a lot of things that you would not expect. (e.g. flavored crisps contain dairy).

I feel a lot better with more energy. My dry skin condition (which I have had for several years) cleared up within a week.

Quinoa, chia seeds, oat/soy/rice/almond milks, non dairy cheese and egg replacers are generally really good. Tesco have a good 'free from' range now, especially on the non dairy cheese and yoghurts.

I now pretty much have chis seeds and ground flaxseed with my overnight oats every morning. they are wonderful for the digestive system.

I pretty much gave up on it a while ago, it was just too much of a pain.
Eating out is virtually impossible unless you stick to a tiny, limited menu and I eventually slipped back to a mostly normal diet.
I eat far less meat now, but you have to be really committed to avoid milk and eggs completely.

Funnily enough I'm having another drive back towards it at the moment, I'm not going to back to being full vegan but a trying to get as close as easily possible.
I certainly seemed to have fewer aches and pains when I was vegan, and had more energy but it's difficult to quantify.

Top Bottom