Where to Visit in Mid-Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I'm thinking of visiting Wales next week for a bit of light walking and I'd really appreciate some recommendations on where to visit/stay in mid Wales. I'm looking for somewhere with nice countryside, villages and pubs etc.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
There's loads of places to stay - I'd say just look them up - depends what you want really, in term of a base. Good news about Mid-Wales is most things you can get to within an hour by car. You'll be fairly close to Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons (other side...bit more south) and also have 2 or three beach destinations to look at. Would recommend Aberdyfi. Besides that, there's just loads of places to go. Probably a good idea to have a look at:

http://www.visitmidwales.co.uk/

Chris S

Legendary Member
Is there any particular reason why you've chose mid-Wales? North Wales has more to offer. My favourite is Portmeirion. Apart form the trippy village and the sea there's a mini-railway that takes you right into the mountains.

If you're set on mid-Wales then check out the Centre for Alternative Technology (http://www.cat.org.uk/index.html) Machynlleth isn't too far from Barmouth or Welshpool, which also has a canal and mini-railway. You can also go Nazi-spotting and keep a look out for Nick Griffin :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Bala is nice, but quite touristy as is lake vrynwy. Then again its early in the year, so there shouldn't be too many people yet. As someone else said CAT is a good place to visit and while away a few hours. If you want to do some cycling then try coed y brenin just outside dollgellau. You can rent bikes and there are trails to suit most people.

Sandra6

Veteran
We're off to pwllheli this weekend, yes I have seen the forecast!
If anyone knows of good indoor activities that'd be great!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ignore those who say "Go north young man" and base yourself in the unspoilt heart of Wales somewhere in the vicinity of Llanidloes.

Visit:
The Star Inn, Dylife
Powis Castle near Welshpool
Vale of Rheidol Railway between Aberystwyth and Devils Bridge.
The Elan Valley and its dams.
The Triangle Inn in Rhyader
The Old Mill bar in Llani(dloes)
Llyn Clywedog
The Wynford Vaughan Thomas memorial on the mountain road to Machynlleth (on a clear day; and be prepared to be stunned)
The Mongomery Canal between Welshpool and Newtown.
WH Smiths in Newtown
Harry Tuffins in Chruchstoke
and Montgomery and its castle, and the county war memorial.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Thanks all.

The heart of Wales is where my heart's set for next week. I've spent time before in the lovely north and south. But a few years ago I had to drive diagonally across Wales (from SW to NE) and I was totally blown away by the lovely country side.

Doseone

Guru
Cregennan Lakes is lovely near Dolgellau and Cadair Idris, but thats kind of straying into South Snowdonia. Further south is Elan Valley, Rhandirmwyn and Llyn Brianne - all stunning unspoilt countryside. Have a great time, mid Wales is one of the most under rated areas in the UK.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ignore those who say "Go north young man" and base yourself in the unspoilt heart of Wales somewhere in the vicinity of Llanidloes.

Visit:
The Star Inn, Dylife
Powis Castle near Welshpool
Vale of Rheidol Railway between Aberystwyth and Devils Bridge.
The Elan Valley and its dams.
The Triangle Inn in Rhyader
The Old Mill bar in Llani(dloes)
Llyn Clywedog
The Wynford Vaughan Thomas memorial on the mountain road to Machynlleth (on a clear day; and be prepared to be stunned)
The Mongomery Canal between Welshpool and Newtown.
WH Smiths in Newtown
Harry Tuffins in Chruchstoke
and Montgomery and its castle, and the county war memorial.

The Grumpy one beat me to much of what I was going to suggest. Cymystwyth, Elan Valley, Plunlymon etc would be great.
If you can go a bit further north the Cadair Idris area is great too. And in southern Snowdonia, if you want the wildest of wild wales hillwaling then the Rhinogs, or should I say Rhinogiau are really special. On one of the summit, on a sunny bank holiday we could see packed Porthmadoc & Portmeirion - but only saw one other couple on the hills, and them several miles away. Stunning

subaqua

What’s the point
Cregennan Lakes is lovely near Dolgellau and Cadair Idris, but thats kind of straying into South Snowdonia. Further south is Elan Valley, Rhandirmwyn and Llyn Brianne - all stunning unspoilt countryside. Have a great time, mid Wales is one of the most under rated areas in the UK.

aberdyfi is mid wales but in Snowdonia, so dont let Snowdonia tag fool you. have to agree about Cadair Idris though.

we are doing Electric Mountain at Llanberis this easter. yes I know its not Mid Wales but its worth it for the engineering.

Top Bottom