Which road in the U.K. sees the most cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have my suspicions (or at least my choice of three), and the time to count the cyclists, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

If we were trying to find the road with the most bikes, would we have to stand by the road for an entire day, or would a representative slot be enough? Is anybody else sufficiently interested to do a count?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
no not me sorry

thomas

the tank engine
gary r said:
Box Hill in surrey must be one of the most popular roads for cyclists

And motorcyclists! Beef burger at the bottom anyone? :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've often wondered whether traffic counters count cyclists at all. That rubber band across the road may not be set up to be sensitive enough. Always wondered.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ian and Crock have picked the ones I'd pick - London Bridge, the Embankment between the House of Commons and Lambeth Bridge and Kenington Park Road, where the Clapham, Brixton and Camberwell traffic merges. I may spend a day counting....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
That's really the question I asked in the OP. I'm sure that the LCC has counted cyclists, and Jonesy might know how it would be best done without spending an entire day ticking boxes.

TimO

Guru
dellzeqq said:
That's really the question I asked in the OP. I'm sure that the LCC has counted cyclists, and Jonesy might know how it would be best done without spending an entire day ticking boxes.

Most counts of these sorts are done at the peak travel times, ie early in the morning, and in the evening, although the evening "rush hour" tends to last longer than the morning one.

If the traffic levels are high enough, you could count cyclists within a period (say ten minutes), and it would be fairly obvious where the peak was, even when doing the counting.

jonesy

Guru
A couple of links on cycle counts and monitoring:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal/cyclefacilities/monitoringlocalcycleuse

http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingenglan...monitoring_best_practice_casestudy_091107.pdf

http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/r...g/report_research_on_monitoring_cycle_use.htm

Cyclists are difficult to count accurately, because we are less visible, use a greater number of possible routes, including both on and off highway, make non-standard manoeuvres at junctions (as an engineer would see it...) and require more sensitive loops and tubes for automatic counters. It is hard to find places for automatic counters that you can be sure will capture all the cyclists using that route, without being affected by other vehicles or multiple cyclists. A combination of both manual counts and automatic counters is usually advised, the latter helping to calibrate the former.

It is very difficult to identify a 'representative' location when trying to assess cycle use across a wide area and bear in mind that cycle trips are generally much shorter than car trips, so you need much smaller cordons, and more of them, to avoid missing lots of trips taking place within the area. Because cycle counters are very often located to measure the use of recently developed off-road paths, growth care has to be applied in how changes in use measured at that location reflect changes in use more widely- e.g. very often a new route (if it is any good) will show increased use because it has diverted existing trips onto it. It is of course much easier to use automatic counters on off-road routes, because it is easier to set up pinch points that all the cyclists will pass through.

In terms of which road has the highest level of use, I've just checked with a former Oxfordshire transport planner of my acquaintance, ;) who tells me that they believed this was probably the section across Magdelen Bridge from The Plain, where the three main roads from East Oxford join the High Street. There are few crossings of the river into central Oxford, so cyclists are concentrated a few locations, this being the most important. The figure I've been given (figures perhaps 4 or 5 years old) is that 800 cyclists pass over Magdelen Bridge into town in the morning peak (8am to 9am- a manual count). Given the problems of under counting, this is most likely to be an underestimate. Cycling here is the nearest thing you see to critical mass in an everyday ride: there are too many cyclists for the cycle lane and they spill out several deep on the approach to the junction. Mill Street in Cambridge is another very busy cycling road, but as Cambridge is more permeable, they are not as concentrated at any one location.

Now, given the significant increases in London in the last few years, it is possible that some places are catching up, but cycling's modal share is still a long way short of Oxford and Cambridge, and London is more permeable, so I'd be surprised if anywhere had yet reached the concentrations to be found on Magdelen Bridge. But it would be nice to be wrong on this!

Top Bottom