Which road in the U.K. sees the most cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxbob

so I'd be surprised if anywhere had yet reached the concentrations to be found on Magdelen Bridge.Do deathwish students,crack dealers,pimps and their whores count as cyclists? ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
I think the Greenwich cyclists have done several counts over the years.

They have an advantage when measuring commuting traffic as there are only 3 ways out of Greenwich, Greenwich/Isle of Dogs tunnel, Deptford Bridge, A2 at Deptford station. So their figures will be very accurate when compared to other areas of London

----

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Dellers, I think you're right about those three places in London, but if you're looking at it nationally, I really do think Oxford may well sink those figures. Possibly even Cambridge too.....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hhhmmmm1 I'd forgotten Magdalen Bridge. It was the turning point on my training run when I worked on the farm. I'd occasionally see gilded youths jumping off the bridge, but no cyclists.

I'm told that Old Street roundabout gets 600 in an hour. That's bravery for you.

Brains - I've ridden south on the road to Greenwich during the morning rush hour, and stood at Cutty Sark Gardens. Lots of cyclists, but not Kennington Park Road levels.

jonesy

Guru
zimzum42 said:
Dellers, I think you're right about those three places in London, but if you're looking at it nationally, I really do think Oxford may well sink those figures. Possibly even Cambridge too.....

Cambridge actually has a higher modal share for cycling than Oxford (from memory, nearer 30% of trips compared with 18%). However, it is also more permeable, so you don't get flows concentrated at particular river crossings in the way that happens in Oxford.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I wonder what the highest proportion of cyclists is, in terms of population - I guess Oxford and Cambridge have big student populations swelling their numbers in the centres. I know York will have nothing like the the number, and our campus is out of town, but we certainly have a steady number of cyclists all day, many (if not most) of whom aren't students I reckon.... However, I can't think of a single road they all congregate on - York is so full of little cut-throughs and so on...

GrahamG

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
I've heard Cowley Road in Oxford oft quoted as the most cycled road in Britain.

I can confirm this as being true (at least is was around 2005/6), I've got the classified counts somewhere although it was a council officer that told me they were the highest cycle flows on any road in Oxford and the UK which I find entirely believable.

Top Bottom