Which tyres ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supercooper88

Regular
Hi all I have a boardman cx comp and obviously it doesn't have full road tyres on at the moment and I would like to put them on for a charity I'm doing in a couple of months the tyre that's on it at the mo are 700 x 35 schwalbe tyrago's so I'm jus wondering what is good option to go for cheers !!

:welcome: Scott. There are loads of tyre options and there's a good chance you'll get most of them recommended here, but here's a few of the most popular that are often recommended on what tyre threads.

Conti Gatorskins, Conti 4 Seasons or Schwalbe Durano+ if you want some puncture protection.

Conti GP4000s or Schwalbe Durano if you want a racier tyre, but Schwalbe tyres whilst excellent in nearly every way do cut up easily IME.

With you bike whatever tyre you choose I'd stick to 700×25 for size.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
If you can find them in 25's Michelin Krylion Carbons are a cracking tyre.

Good lightweight, decent puncture resistance, and plenty of grip.

I've used them as a winter road tyre without any problems.

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you've 35mm on there at present, some 28mm Conti 4 seasons or Gatorskins should be a safe bet. Gatorskins also come in 32mm which will definately fit.

sreten

Hi,

Unless you are a world class cyclist (and some of them are going to 28mm)
skinny tyres are uncomfortable, tiring and consequently slow for most.
You have to go really fast for the aerodynamic advantages of skinny
tyres to outweigh the considerable advantages of fatter tyres.
IMO fit some 32mm road tyres.

rgds, sreten.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

Unless you are a world class cyclist (and some of them are going to 28mm)
skinny tyres are uncomfortable, tiring and consequently slow for most.
You have to go really fast for the aerodynamic advantages of skinny
tyres to outweigh the considerable advantages of fatter tyres.
IMO fit some 32mm road tyres.

rgds, sreten.
Thinner tyres are lighter and spin up faster giving better acceleration. I sometimes fit a pair of wheels shod with Continental Grand Prix Supersonics (20x622) to my sprint bike and can (seated) out accelerate cars If I'm in the mood. Downside is they have the puncture resistance of an old condom and deflate so quickly that they normally reduce the tube to ribbons before you can stop. As for comfort that bike is a 531 Worksop built Raleigh so is naturally a bit springy, Would'nt fancy those tyres on a Crackaminium frame though. As for touring I use 28s on my Ridgeback (Tange CrMo tubing) without any problems.

OP
OP
S

supercooper88

Regular
Bringing this up again as I asked the the question to a halfords employee " I've got 35mm tyres on at the moment do you think 28s will fit " and his reply was no as they would keep popping of rim so I really don't know what to get the rims are mavic xm319's

Please can anyone give me some help

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've just bought a CX bike as it happens, which comes with 35mm tyres. I've just ordered some 28mm road slicks for it as it will spend 95% of its time on road.

Rims are 19mm wide, 28mm should be fine and apparently the lad in the LBS has had 25mm on them too. Don't think I'd want to go for 25mm though.

28mm or 32mm are your best choices IMHO

Last edited:

Cookie56

Think my hybrid team has the same rims. I run conti sport contacts 700x28 with no issues (from memory stock tyres were 28mm anyhow)

OP
OP
S

supercooper88

Regular
On the website it says wheels would suit 1.50 - 2.5 tyres I think how do I find out what the width of rim is in mm other than measuring it , does any1 know from experience

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom