Whiskey in the jar.... educate me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For Xtmas I was given '101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die' a rather entertaining guide book on Whiskey, be it Scotch, Irish, Japanese, Canadian, or American, single malt, grain, or blended.

I know a few of the FNRttC crew are partial to a drop, and I seem to recall Talisker, great name for a bike, has been seen on the seafront in Brighton. I've always been a Highland Park man Scotch wise myself, and generally prefer Irish but the book has inspired me to broaden my horizons....

So whilst I sip my Aberlour
A'bunadh (spicey dark chocalate orange with sherry top notes and a hiny of oak in the finish) help educate me and 'fess up as to what are your top three whiskies are in each of the following categories

a) Fave Single Malt Scotch
b) Fave non-Scottish Whiskey
c) Fave BLend

and why?

a) Highland Park - I like the taste, bottle, box, place where it is made. The king of Scotch and the best whisky in the world (imo)
b) Powers Gold Label 12yo Irish Whiskey - I love the character of pot still whiskey and this is a fantastic expression
c) BNJ (
Bailie Nicol Jarvine) - I've no idea how they do it. Stunning value for a blend that is bursting with malt. Funky retro label

and I was well chuffed to find two of my three are in the book!

Over to you...

U

User482

Lagavulin, and Talisker 18 yo for me. Both full bodied and peaty. I've been to the Talisker distillery on Skye - it's a wonderful, atmospheric place. I must remember to bring a hip flask on the next FNRttC.

I've tried few non-Scotch single malts whiskies, but seem to remember enjoying Bushmills and Johnnie Walker Black label.

Probably have to agree with you on a) as for b) & c) I don't have an answer, my cabinet only contains Scottish single malts. Not a snobbery thing, just the way it is given where I live.

Probably my favourite non-whiskey spirit we have is a bottle of St Lucia rum that my SIL brought back last year. A lovely light golden and smooth tipple.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
a) Lagavulin or Laphroag, I can't decide, I love their carbolic lovelyness.
b) Jamesons, inexpensive, smooth and nice with ice.
c) Famous Grouse, cheap and cheerful ... but then so is b).

But nothing's as much fun as asking an Irish barmaid if she has a Black Bush.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I might come across as complete commoner here, but mine's Isle of Jura, the bottle sits nicely in my hand and goes down a treat... ot's also been on offer in the co-op recently... a whole 1/3rd off!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Irish whiskey does the job but, as far as a) is concerned, I'd go with Talisker, just in front of Lagavulin. Many years ago I worked on the mainland next to Skye and my taste may have been influenced by that.

For pub cooking whisky in England, I tend to go for Grouse but I found I also enjoyed Ballantine's cooking whisky in Scotland - completely different tastes but when you're cooking, a little bit of variation in the recipe does you good. Maybe Ballantines simply worked better with Scottish beer on my taste buds.

Chrisc

Guru
I'm an Islay addict. Verdict arrived at after 25 years of testing...
So my A list is comprehensively biased that way (see pic). There's also things like Glenlivet, Royal Lochnagar and Bowmore on the top shelf as well, bit lighter weight but the heavy peaty buggers are my favourites.
My B would be an Irish Tyrconnell, port finish.
My C would be Johnnie Walker Blue Label if I could afford a bottle...but Black Label will do!

islay.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
a) Ardbeg Uigeadail - far and away the most complex single malt I have ever tasted. Amongst more widely available bottlings, I'd go for the Bowmore 17 year-old.

b) Japanese malts are amazing these days. Suntory's Hakusha and Yamazaki whiskeys are all great and there are many others now. Some of them are produced far more 'authentically' than many produced in Scotland.

c) You can't really beat Johnny Walker Black label. Although the various blends at the quality end of the range produced by Japanese firm, Nikka, are rather good.

subaqua

What’s the point
I currently have in the cupboard

Laproaig Quarter cask
Balvenie Double wood
Balvenie Signature
Glenlivet 18yr old
Highland Park. 12 18 and 25 yr old

I have had hundreds more over the last 20 years lots of which i have forgotten the names of

trying to put a top 3 together is nigh on impossible

I do however have to have the 25yr old Highland Park in there. the mellow honeyed tones ar just superb. It is difficult not to plough through the whole bottle in a very short space of time.

Chrisc

Guru
b) Japanese malts are amazing these days. Suntory's Hakusha and Yamazaki whiskeys are all great and there are many others now. Some of them are produced far more 'authentically' than many produced in Scotland.

I'd never tried a Japanese malt till someone offered me one on holiday this year. Never expected it to taste so good, especially as it looked like vodka. Begs the question if the colour and flavours are largely derived from the wood, where are the Japs getting it from?

Maybe my favourite pages on the web...

1. I'm a big Islay fan. Caol Ila 17yo is now my SECOND favourite to be overtaken by the third release of the newest distillery, Kilchoman. It has all the Islay peatiness, smokiness and phenols but is amazingly fruity on the nose and has great depth of flavour. You have to try it!

2. Penderyn is surprisingly nice. The Japanese malts are too light for me.

3. For blends I'll go for Johnnie Walker as there's a lot of Caol Ila in it!

Top Bottom