Whiskey in the jar.... educate me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For something a little off the wall and unbelievably good, try Amrut. It is Indian (!!) and will fool most people in thinking it is middle of the road Highland malt. Great value too!

One of the people I work with is bringing me back a bottle of Amrut Fusion from his work trip to Mumbai. I didn't send him there deliberately honest! Amrut Fusion is in the book btw.

U

User482

Hmmm let's see.

Ashes highlights on at 10pm? Check.
Talisker 18 y.o on the shelf? Check.

I'm all set...

Up until prohibition in the US Irish whiskey outsold scotch. Unfortunately for the Irish distillers they only concentrated on the US market...and when prohibition came in lots went bust. Can't say I'm a scotch fan..I think I've had one too many when I shouldn't have. Tend to only drink Irish and these days very rarely.

heretic

Lagavulin 16 year old. I did have a bottle of cask strength Talisker but used it up celebrating grandadhood :wacko: and it's only available from the distillery :sad:
Non scotch, Penderyn's pleasant and I once had a single malt from Brittany.
Blend, Black Grouse.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a) Hook Norton Twelve Days

b) Westmalle Dubbel

c) Sam Smith's Imperial Stout

You've walked into the wronmg bar 3 bikes! And besides Dark Star Imperial Russian knocks spots off Sam's

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Up until prohibition in the US Irish whiskey outsold scotch. Unfortunately for the Irish distillers they only concentrated on the US market...and when prohibition came in lots went bust. Can't say I'm a scotch fan..I think I've had one too many when I shouldn't have. Tend to only drink Irish and these days very rarely.

Ireland's supreme export to Scotland was distilling.

My history books say prohibition didn't help but the real killer of Irish distilleries was prohibition in combination the trade embargoes and subsequent economic war between Britain and Ireland which prohibited the export and sale of Irish whiskey in the entire British Empire from the 20's onwards

Even when prohibition ended Ireland couldn't gear up production and then once all those yanks were stationed in the UK during WWII and got a taste for scotch the demand for the muddy stuff in USA was bound to shoot up.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm an Islay addict. Verdict arrived at after 25 years of testing...
So my A list is comprehensively biased that way (see pic). There's also things like Glenlivet, Royal Lochnagar and Bowmore on the top shelf as well, bit lighter weight but the heavy peaty buggers are my favourites.
My B would be an Irish Tyrconnell, port finish.
My C would be Johnnie Walker Blue Label if I could afford a bottle...but Black Label will do!

islay.jpg
Chris
Have you tried Bruichladdich Peat? It's the peatiest, smokiest one I've ever tried..... described in one review as "like licking a burning log."
It's smokier than kippers, and made my pee smell of smoke the next morning. A recently revived Islay distillery, with really trick bottle and sleeve. I'd invite you up to Scape for a dram, but I've finished the last bit, and can only offer you a Highland Park!

Another one here for Islay........

1. Ardbeg 10yo

2. Laphroaig

3. Talisker - just to be even handed. (With Highland Park 18yo - yes, I know it's not phenolic..- as a change)

As a geology student many (very) years ago, we did lots of field trips to the Hebrides, Inner and Outer, and spent many educational nights in bars after writing up the day's fieldwork spending what was left of our meagre cash trawling through the malts behind the bar. Our trip leaders were all enthusiasts (malt first, geology second). Oddly, I've not yet been to Islay, but it's on my list, hopefully for this year's Jazz Festival in September.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It is fascinating how popular the peat monsters have become. 15 years ago it seems they couldn't give the stuff away.

Being a dedicated Armagnac/Irish Whiskey drinker I'm trying to acquire the taste.....

MarcBC

I do not drink any more but up until 4 years ago my favourites were:

Malt: The Macallan 18yr old or sometimes 10yr old if the 18 was empty.
Non Scottish: No idea
Blend: Famous Grouse.

I used to drink (a lot of) Grouse with a touch of water at any time, but the Macallan straight as an after dinner drink, except at one restaurant in London where the somelier automatically gave me a Macallan as I walked in the door. He always assumed it was my usual drink.

Top Bottom