White Screen of Death - any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My old Thinkpad seems to have had a fit - the screen went all wobbly, and when I rebooted, it came up completely white. Apparently this is called White Screen of Death, and is officially Very Bad News...but I thougt I'd post this just to see if anyone out there has any ideas. (Not too techy, please - don't start talking BIOS and jumpers or I'll cry.)

ACS

Legendary Member
Quick elimination test. Connect to an external monitor.

If screen displays VDU sender unit gone.

No VDU motherboard issue maybe.

Still not good news either way

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well, I've plugged in a monitor and it works fine. So I gguess that means the VDU sender unit? I've tried googling that, but not found anything...is that hardware? Is it fixable? Or should I just cut my losses? Seems an awful waste...apart from thje screen it seems to be working really nicely.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
[quote name='swee'pea99']Well, I've plugged in a monitor and it works fine. So I gguess that means the VDU sender unit? I've tried googling that, but not found anything...is that hardware? Is it fixable? Or should I just cut my losses? Seems an awful waste...apart from thje screen it seems to be working really nicely.[/QUOTE]

Do you need it to be a laptop? If not just hook it up to a monitor and use it as a desktop...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was aiming to give it to my daughter. She's a pre-teen, so yes, a laptop is pretty much mandatory.

I did have a bit of something vaguely resembling progress -I googled a forum that said basdically, just hold Fn and then hit each F key in turn and see if anything happens...and lo & behold, when I got to Fn+F3, the laptop screen changed for the firt time from white to 'the right' desktop, except very juddery, and otherwise weird - 1" adrift from the bottom of the screen, that sort of thing....but now it's back to white again. It's dead isn't it?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If I could be sure it was the display, I might go that route - but I think it could be the video card or even the motherboard...there's a point where you start thinking about whether it's worth throwing good money after bad...

scook94

Veteran
If it works on an external monitor likelihood it's the lcd. In a previous life I used to do service jobs for dell (*spit*) and the test they'd do to decide if they should send an lcd or a motherboard is whether or not it would display an image on an external monitor...

Top Bottom