Why are people against CCTV and speed cameras on the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rahul Sapariya

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
I think im gonna unsubscribe cant be bothered. with this any more

Your gonna get peanuts on the road whatever you do. A machine will never ever be as good at this job as an actual person.

Your just trying and up to now succeeding in getting a rise from me. I thought you were actually wanting a proper debate. But you dont. You want the last word you want me and others around you to accept that you and you alone can only be right.

Here are the facts.

1. Gatso cameras do what they do well. The catch and prevent people from speeding at a pre determined point on a road however long it may be.

In my opinion That isnt much use on a road that is 20 miles long. A police car moving all the time means people have to behave on the road all of the time and not just at the pre determined point So having 3 or 4 cars on that road means that those 3 or 4 cars will always be patrolling even if they are stopped people know they are there because they see them at that point and know that they will be at other points.

2. Yes we need to proactive. There is no point in catching someone doing something. If they have been caught the danger has already occurred we need to stop it happening in the first place. Prevention is always always better than a cure. The gatso does this well at the predetermined point at that point in the road it has prevented an incident.

In my opinion a more visible and higher police presence on the road will show people that this type of behavior is being clamped down upon and is no longer acceptable. If you do it you will be caught rather than you might get caught by the camera you do or dont know about. A better way to deal with it (and you said i think) is education. Not everything can be educated away though. Some has to be stopped through other methods.

3. Yes this will happen with a police car

However in my opinion you wont ever know when its coming up so therefore you need to be more vigilant and pay more attention to the road. If you know they will be on the road then you will be less likely to take the risk.

So i respect your opinion but i am no longer going to argue or post on this thread.

So if you wish the last word. Have it

Good luck

You're gonna give up? Imagine what would happen if the PM resigned at a time when the country was the most screwed up? Not saying it is the same thing but can you see what I mean? Giving up is the same as quitting something because it is not going your way. For me, it is the same as someone who doesn't vote and then complains. Discuss the topic and if you have differing views then so what? We aren't sheep. When I created this thread, I asked why people seem to be against CCTV and speedcameras even though they save lives, catch criminals and such. And then someone spouted something about 1984 and I'm just thinking what an idiot, right? But he is entitled to his own opinions, regardless of how paranoid it sounds.

If you can't accept someone elses opinion then you are the type of person who is against the diversity of this country and its very differing views.

[QUOTE 1799349, member: 45"]Gatsos have their place. For those who point out that they aren't much use over a 20 mile stretch of road, there's the average speed camera.[/quote]

The reason that there is a fixation on the GATSO system is that the new systems are doing many of the things that used to require Police.. Untaxed, uninsured, stolen, tailgating, mobile phone use and other offences can all be picked up. Of course this means that cameras are effective, and that cannot be accepted

Limiting the speed camera argument to GATSOs is the only way that the argument can stand.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Apparently speeding drivers != dangerous drivers. Well, mostly, they are.

It's a Venn diagram, sure, but the overlap between the two is almost 100%.

OP
OP
Rahul Sapariya

Rahul Sapariya

Regular
So overall, what people have said about speed cameras and CCTV.

Pros: stops people speeding in certain areas and can be used as evidence.

Cons: Expensive (supposedly money-grabbers), not as good as having actual police (not really viable seeing as the police have had cuts) and sometimes it is alright to break the speed limit.

You might be able to tell that I am for speed cameras and CCTV. The law is the law so if there is a 30mph road, do 30mph max. People say that if someone is a good driver then it's alright do break the speed limit. I ask, how do you distinguish between a good and bad car driver? You can't really so just keep it simple and have the speed limit as it is, no confusion.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm very surprised at the touching faith some people seem to have in the sleazy insurance industry as some kind of force for good. The company van was insured for 8000 miles a year. Last week, I told them that we would be happy to lower that to 3000 miles. Guess by how much the £300 annual premium was reduced?

£3.

:gun: Utter bastards.:gun:

I'm very surprised at the touching faith some people seem to have in the sleazy insurance industry as some kind of force for good. The company van was insured for 8000 miles a year. Last week, I told them that we would be happy to lower that to 3000 miles. Guess by how much the £300 annual premium was reduced?

£3.

:gun: Utter bastards.:gun:

... and just imagine how much it would be without the subsidy!

In 2010 almost £ 2 Billion more was spent by the insurance companies on motor related claims than was gained in policy fees!

Motor insurance is propped up by income from household and personal insurance

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Ah another speed camera argument. Shame Paul Smith is no longer with us.

As somebody said earlier in the thread there are too many revenue\speed cameras and creeping cctv. We are getting close the 1984 all the time.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, if we are it was good to see on the A614 yesterday. Speed cameras by the dozen. And everybody sticking to 50mph, which is nice if the love of your life is doing about 6 up hill. We could have done with the same on the ride in to Worksop.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Ah another speed camera argument. Shame Paul Smith is no longer with us.

As somebody said earlier in the thread there are too many revenue\speed cameras and creeping cctv. We are getting close the 1984 all the time.

Anything which enforces speed limits is a good thing. I think we also need more traffic police, but I would be in favour of an increase in speed cameras too.

I would design them so they all feed into a central processing database, and would flag up any drivers that were over the posted limit at a specific camera, and also flag up ones that were over the limit on average over any stretch of the network. The second part would discourage people from speeding and then slamming on the brakes when they saw a camera.

Oh, and I'd hide and camouflage them as much as possible, and remove the warning signs.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Oh, and I'd hide and camouflage them as much as possible, and remove the warning signs.
I would do this also, though I'm very unpopular when I mention it in company. Its an amazing marketing job that normally right minded people think its unfair that cameras set up to catch speeders should be hidden.

In no other crime (that I can think of) do we give the perpetrator a sporting chance to avoid being caught.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would design them so they all feed into a central processing database, and would flag up any drivers that were over the posted limit at a specific camera, and also flag up ones that were over the limit on average over any stretch of the network. The second part would discourage people from speeding and then slamming on the brakes when they saw a camera.
they have this on some roads - including the M25

Top Bottom