Why can't I find a new Bicycle that I like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scaramoosh

I've never been into biking, I only started because I got a new job that was close, I found an old 80s Bicycle in my Aunts garage and I decided to save money by selling the car. Turns out that I'm only 15 mins slower on the Bicycle than I was the car, I'm getting exercise and I'm saving thousands. So I've decided to fully commit, I need a new Bicycle as this old one has seen better days, but I cannot find one I like.

I really like this old Bicycle, it feels as light as all the modern Bicycles (I've tried Carbon and Aluminium frames) and in fact it feels lighter than the aluminium ones I've tried. The frame is a lot bigger than modern bicycles, the thing feels so good on the road, it's so comfortable, where as the aluminum ones I've tried are so horrible, THE WORST! Even the Carbon ones didn't feel as good as the one I have now. I felt guilty at the shop because I tried loads and none felt as good as the one I have today.

The problem is no one sells Steel Bicycles any more, the only ones I can find are online and cost thousands, I wouldn't be able to try them any ways. I need to change this Bicycle since it's literally falling apart...

I just feel stuck, I cannot find anything I like as much as this one.

Why do you need to buy a new one?

Have you considered, maybe rebuilding the one you have?

Grab a groupset and some wheels, convert it to sti, give it a paint job and a new saddle.

Why do you need to buy a new one?

Have you considered, maybe rebuilding the one you have?

Grab a groupset and some wheels, convert it to sti, give it a paint job and a new saddle.
After which it wouldn't be as good as the old bike :wacko:
Question is in what way did the various new bikes feel different to the old one.
I note that "The frame is a lot bigger than modern bicycles" so is it just a matter of the op is over 5' 10" tall and trying all the standard sized frames which shops prefer to stock as more likely
to sell them with issues of reach or height.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Without details it's hard to say but it seems like it's a grand bike. To be cherished. Is it the frame that's rusting critically?

EDIT: There are a few on here with experience of restoring bikes. They could be a valuable source of advice.

OP
OP
S

scaramoosh

It's a Rayleigh Record Sprint something, the guy at Halfords couldn't believe the size of the frame, never thought they made them so big, accused me of being a liar as well which I thought was weird... so I wheeled it in.

The Bicycle is knackered, a car pulled out in front of me and since my brakes aren't very good I wasn't able to stop, broke my Collar bone and the frame is slightly bent along with everything else being broken including two very buckled wheels. I'm still using it, but I've had to make it into a single geared bicycle and I've taken the brakes off and just pedal backwards to brake now.

Yet it still feels better to me than anything else.

I've looked at the Genesis Bicycles from a recommendation, are the frames really tiny? I love the larger 80s style frames. I'm only 6ft, but I have oddly long legs and for some reason I like the seat being close to the frame, I hate it being lifted off it... I dunno why but I like the feeling of almost sitting on the frame.

Look for retro bits on line (bike specific forums are a good place to look). There are some really nice 'old' frames and components about, you'll end up with a nice retro bike, for less than the cost (even if you have to find an LBS to put it together for you) of some of the modern cack that's on sale.

Perhaps weighting the bike (stand on some scales holding it) and measuring the dimensions according to one of those online guides for sizing road bikes might help given that a 30 year old bike may have lost its decals and
possibly have been resprayed anyway.

OP
OP
S

scaramoosh

Yeah, all the 80s Bicycles have the seat near the frame, all the modern Bicycles have a smaller frame with the seat high up... I just don't like that. I might just have to buy an older Bicycle I guess.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@scaramoosh what size frame do you want , any colour hates ?

where are you based ?

i normally have at least 2 + retro road bikes that have either been overhauled or repaired as required for sale , all available for trial before buying

You could easily pick up a very nice larger-framed classic with Reynolds tubing for 200-300 spuds if you keep your eyes peeled, the bigger frames don't generally go for as much as a more average size. I used to own a bike with a record Sprint frame and it was very nice

Top Bottom