Why do cyclists upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Just got this email - valuable information or sales pitch?

2015_Williams_logo_jpg.jpg
Why cyclists upgrade their bicycle wheels and components?

Disclaimer: These are opinions and thoughts from the owner of a bicycle wheel and component business. I have been on the front line for 10+ years working with cyclists on a daily basis. These are some of my random thoughts. Note that I certainly do not have all the answers but I do have a have a pretty good idea of how this industry works.

Have you ever wondered why your new bike does not perform up to your expectations? Let me share a bit of insight.

Let’s step back for a moment. The majority of cyclists purchase a complete bicycle from a brick and mortar or online bicycle shop. What I have found is that most cyclists focus on:

1. Frame (carbon, titanium, alloy, color etc…)
2. Drive train (Shimano, SRAM, Campy)

The above two factors tend to drive the complete bike purchase. The remaining bicycle components tend to be less important in the bicycle purchase decision process. Other components include wheels, stem, bar, seatpost and saddle. In order to keep total bike price down, manufacturers will finish a bike build with what we call (OE components and wheels) OE stands for “original equipment”. These OE products tend to be very inexpensive and lack performance. However, they keep the complete bicycle price point down to a reasonable level. Of course, we can all argue the definition of reasonable!!!!.

So after the bike purchase, the cyclist ends up with a Ferrari quality frame matched with 1960 VW bug wheels and components. Not performance inspiring. All the advantages of an awesome frame and group are given away by slapping on a bunch of OE products to get the bike out the door. These days, bicycle brands assume you will quickly go into the wheel and component after-market to upgrade your bike. Typical original equipment issues include:

1. A heavy, high rotational mass wheelset
2. A wheelset that is flexy
3. A handlebar that does not fit the rider
4. A stem that is too long or short…or wrong angle.
5. A saddle that does not fit the cyclist
6. The list goes on…….

This is why businesses like Williams and other after-market wheel and component brands exist! Brands like Zipp, Enve, Williams, Reynolds etc…

After-market wheel and component brands make specialty products that are designed to squeeze out the very best performance desired by the cyclist. Pairing products that achieve intended goals and desires of the cyclist requires knowledge about the cyclist. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to truly understand who you are and what you want out of your bike. Questions we need to know include:

1. How old are you
2. How much do you weigh
3. Are you an enthusiast, racer etc..
4. Do you ride in the hills, rolling terrain or flats.
5. Do you ride by yourself, small group, large fast group rides
6. What’s your budget
7. What is your goal and what would you like to achieve by upgrading your wheels and/or components?
8. The list goes on.

This is step one. Step two is to understand what wheels and/or components are best for you. Next week I will discuss wheel tech. Don’t be afraid to call and talk with someone here about your needs as a cyclist. It’s what we do!

Cheers,

Keith Williams
President
Williams Cycling
Link to Williams Cycling (click here)

PS. Link to the coolest product ever invented in the history of man!
Bikelangelo designer bicycle stem caps (click here)

LocalLad

Surely that's normal? You buy something that's pretty much there and tinker as you go.

It's no different to buying a PC and sticking in a higher capacity hard disk. Or for that matter, buying a house then upgrading the kitchen

Tin Pot

Guru
I thought everyone knew this? Or at least I learned it while shopping for my first road bike.

What he doesn't mention is that it's cheaper to buy a whole bike than individual components - if you're happy with the components you're getting.

mick1836

Über Member
I suppose it depends on what you use your bike for?
Yea, if you are competing in the Tour de France a micro millisecond may help
smileys-cycling-431192.gif
but for commuting to work or pleasure riding
graphics-cycling-396078.gif
Animated-dancing-red-question-mark-picture-moving.gif

Top Bottom