Why do people put plastic bags on their seats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I've seen this for years but I've only just thought to wonder why. Why do people do this? Why do they put plastic bags on their seats. I understand if it is to keep the rain off but then I see people riding around with them on. So please enlighten me as to what on earth it's all about. In fact it's a bit odd even to keep the rain off when a quick wipe does the job.

Lanzecki

Über Member
It's for that sweaty arse effect. Either that or "Look at the hobo"

HovR

Über Member
Some saddles are absorbent, like the 90's faux suede leather saddle on my Peugeot. If these get wet then you can't just wipe the water off, and they can take a while to dry out even in a warm garage. Personally though I can't be bothered to take a plastic bag on and off when parking the bike up so I just sit on a wet saddle!

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Some saddles are absorbent, like the 90's faux suede leather saddle on my Peugeot. If these get wet then you can't just wipe the water off, and they can take a while to dry out even in a warm garage. Personally though I can't be bothered to take a plastic bag on and off when parking the bike up so I just sit on a wet saddle!
If one is just going to end up with the permanent bag look then it does seem a bit...er...I don't know...something or other.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
riding around with plastic bag on saddle, I'd guess it's an old foam saddle with a split cover, soaking wet, hence the plastic bag to stop the spongy sodden foam wetting ones bottom.

Plastic bag on saddle when parked, to keep saddle dry (as mentioned) or to hide a costly saddle from would be thieves.

Sara_H

Guru
I've seen this for years but I've only just thought to wonder why. Why do people do this? Why do they put plastic bags on their seats. I understand if it is to keep the rain off but then I see people riding around with them on. So please enlighten me as to what on earth it's all about. In fact it's a bit odd even to keep the rain off when a quick wipe does the job.
Plastic bag? Scrubbers!:laugh:

They should get a proper saddle cover like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0029LD9...nd=1351403688358100826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I've got one. True you can wipe most saddles down, but unless you have something absorbant with you you can't get it quite dry, which leads to a damp bottie.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
riding around with plastic bag on saddle, I'd guess it's an old foam saddle with a split cover, soaking wet, hence the plastic bag to stop the spongy sodden foam wetting ones bottom.

Plastic bag on saddle when parked, to keep saddle dry (as mentioned) or to hide a costly saddle from would be thieves.

Always remember as a lad one of the lads in my class had the leatherette split on his. His approach was to simply tear the foam and leatherette off and ride on the plastic shell. He did so for a couple of years after school I was told.

Sara_H

Guru
You use a folding bike as a saddle cover? ;)
Hmmmm. That went wrong!

Sara_H

Guru
Whilst I have a beautiful saddle cover for my bike, I have to admit that son uses one of those shoe covers you get for walking into swimming pools on his saddle.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Of course, if you have a nice saddle like one of these, you also need one of these.

Those rain covers are rubbish now, they used to have a nice Brooks logo in gold on them so people still knew you had a Brooks under it (maybe). You may as well use a shower cap or Asda bag now!

If you keep your arse fat it covers the saddle well enough anyway :blush:

Top Bottom