Why do we shoot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
It cost me £26 for nearly 3 hours of good fun, not at all expensive in my opinion. That was 50 cartridges and the same amount of clays.

No corporate types there that I noticed, just like minded people enjoying their sport.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The problem with clay shooting is that it's been hi-jacked by the corporate types for their jolly outings and is quite expensive if you go to an outfit that feasts off their kind of budgets. Depending on where you go, it seems to work out at very,very roughly about £1-2 a shot, all up, maybe a bit more.

That's hideously expensive to me but I (very briefly) looked into the alternatives and ways of doing it on the cheap. Here's what I found. It's an entirely imperfect piece of research.

Gun cabinet £100
Shotgun Certificate £80
Ammunition safe £50
Cheap Over and Under 12G shotgun £500
Cleaning stuff £50
Cartridges £0.20 per bang
Clays 0.10 per clay
Launcher say £400

The sticking point is that you need to find a friendly farmer who will let you use an empty piece of land.
It wouldn't be a cheap hobby, but once you have the tools, it shouldn't be entirely ruinous, I hope.

If you hunt around enough (pardon the bad pun) you will find yourself somewhere plenty of places where you will find it about 20p a clay, you just need to stay away from the big corporate places and try and find a local club/strawbailer. Your other option is to pigeon shoot and find yourself a friendly farmer, however it can be very tricky to get a permission, plus you need to be able to shoot well first.

I used to shoot 200-300 clays a week which soon adds up over the course of a year, I have now cut back to a couple of hundred a month, less in summer, because as you say it can get pretty expensive.

AndyRM

XOXO
The problem with clay shooting is that it's been hi-jacked by the corporate types for their jolly outings and is quite expensive if you go to an outfit that feasts off their kind of budgets. Depending on where you go, it seems to work out at very,very roughly about £1-2 a shot, all up, maybe a bit more.

That's hideously expensive to me but I (very briefly) looked into the alternatives and ways of doing it on the cheap. Here's what I found. It's an entirely imperfect piece of research.

Gun cabinet £100
Shotgun Certificate £80
Ammunition safe £50
Cheap Over and Under 12G shotgun £500
Cleaning stuff £50
Cartridges £0.20 per bang
Clays 0.10 per clay
Launcher say £400

The sticking point is that you need to find a friendly farmer who will let you use an empty piece of land.
It wouldn't be a cheap hobby, but once you have the tools, it shouldn't be entirely ruinous, I hope.

Buy the gun and cartridges first.

Kill everyone, steal what you need, find a field, avoid arrest for as long as possible.

Grand Theft Clay Pigeon Shooting.

Top Bottom