Why I don't do 'group' rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i don't do group rides as i prefer to have the three hours to myself and my choice of music for the day. get away from everything into your own world.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Those in the SE and of a certain age can try the http://www.fortypluscc.co.uk/

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I looked at the 40 club pages...from what i can tell there are no fit blonde nymphos in lycra....in fact it looks like it should be renamed as the wrinkly wheels club....just jesting...

yello

trustysteed said:
i prefer to have the three hours to myself <snip> get away from everything into your own world.

That's why I ride! It has sod all to do with physical health and fitness (that's an added bonus!) but a bit of escapism; mental health if you like.

I do ride in groups but it's a social thing, not a chain gang, and chatting as you go is the order of the day. I enjoy it in a different way but my preference is the solo ride.

simonali

Guru
Forum rides are good fun. You get to meet peeps you jest/joust with online, put faces to the names, find out real names and drink beer (oh and ride bikes)!

I went on a C+ one and an ACF one, both organised by kitzy and bomber in 'ampshire and both were a great laugh.

I was thinking of joining a club but you have put me off now!

My reason for contemplating it was to commit to a ride at a time so it would get me out the door come rain or shine.

Girls bums are a bonus. Find a little fit one who overtakes you and try to stick with her! No better way to keep you pedalling.

davidwalton

Being I have been on my bike just over a month, and I am very unfit, needing to lose loads of weight, and most cyclists would leave me in their dust while walking, I haven't been on any group ride.

I did explain to John (Local CTC Secretary who sent me a welcome to CTC in Essex letter), but he still said to come along. They apparently have a slow group. Perhaps I can redefine slow for them:biggrin: Will find out on Sunday.

In the mean time, I have to find a way of getting up Brock Hill without dying a few times.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

just walk up the bigger hills....keep riding ...eventually the hills will get smaller

NickM

Veteran
Pete said:
...I can't consider any serious riding at the moment, too unfit and my back and shoulders troubling me at the moment...
Have you considered trying a recumbent, Pete? Recumbency saved my cycling life - and they're more fun :angry:

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
just walk up the bigger hills....keep riding ...eventually the hills will get smaller

It's either walk a way, or not get very far very quickly by cycling, as dying requires a few minutes recovery each time.

Wind from the North doesn't help either, which is what we had yesterday, and forecast for today and tomorrow:sad:

At least for Sunday, the wind is forecast to be from the West.

walker

Bigtallfatbloke said:

Just a little word of advise to some of you who struggle to get up these hills.......

Practice your breathing technique on hills rather than the actual hill itself.
Try not to huff and puff your way to the top, keep a steady in and out motion.

All those that are put off riding in a group, you have nothing to fear. Other riders may well be faster than you, but if you join in a racing club expect people to be at race pace. If you join an easy riders group people will be at the same speed as you, but they will have more endurance so will go for longer.
Some of you may or may not know that I race, one of few on this forum that does. I'm used to going flat out at speeds of around 25-27mph at all times, but even I find it hard to keep up with the old boys of my club when we hit the 70mile group ride. and I've been riding some time and doing over 100 miles in one day just for the fun of it. It's all about learning and group rides can teach you that, other riders with more experience can tell you where your going wrong, alot more than even the most knowledgable forumers on this site can be.
Stop being a chicken, get out and join in the fun with others

gavintc

Guru
I am newish to the club scene but having joined my first 3 yrs ago and moved house joined a second, my experiences are not simply on one club. Fundamentally, clubs acknowledge that they have a spectrum of abilities to look after and cater for. My first club was small and we would get 10-15 riders on a club run. The pace was moderate, encouraged developing beginners, but allowed the racers to sprint off on hills, take longer options but meet at a cafe. The club appreciated the need to develop newcomers. My next club ERC is very different, very large and possibly less personal. But, it is big enough to allow development through running a range of club runs to provide newcomers to start on steady runs before burning their lungs with the serious riders.

I think there is a certain amount of trepidation from many about the cut throat riding pace of a club run. It does not need to be like that. Contact the club, discuss your pace and abilities and see what options are open. Many people who are returning from injury or idleness will announce that they will ride only the first hour.

Personally, I find the comaraderie, the chat, the adrenaline rush of spinning along at speed in a tight group enjoyable and will continue to do it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I did it once, a few yrs back, but it was inconvenient for me to continue (day, time) and no other club near. I really enjoyed it, though was knackered at end. Had some nice quick chats with a few folk whilst bowling along, and at caff, though others were rather rude and made no effort. One bloke said that's normal for clubs... a mixture... some are laid back, some are tightly rolled balls of wotsit.

Top Bottom