Wifi connectors and clouds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
hi,

Moving house soon and will have my PC in a different room than the modem. it isn't wifi so what do I need to connect it?

Also have lots of photos I don't want to lose obviously, was thinking of getting a cloud, any ideas which is best?

vickster

Legendary Member
A wifi dongle. http://www.filesaveas.com/wifidongles.html

Something like this (other options and retailers available :smile: )

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...0-wireless-usb-mini-adapter-21430734-pdt.html

Dunno on the cloud, I'd download them onto an external HD

If your modem does not transmit wifi, you will need to upgrade it to one that does or use a much longer network cable.
The longer cable will be the easiest for you because you will need your username and password handy (most likely) as well as securing a wifi network unless you live in the sticks,
If you are moving house, are you changing providers for your broadband? If so, they will seen you a wifi router by default usually (unless you said not to) so the problem would be solved... who is your (new) provider?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Sorry no, the modem we have is great and is wifi, although I will have to change fromvirgin as my new house doesn't have Virgin, will prob go for sky
It's the PC that doesn't accept wifi, is there an adapter?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry no, the modem we have is great and is wifi, although I will have to change fromvirgin as my new house doesn't have Virgin, will prob go for sky
It's the PC that doesn't accept wifi, is there an adapter?
Added links above

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Cool thanks guys

The Ethernet looks good but needs an extra socket for power, maybe the use is the way to go

I was thinking of getting a larger storage on the PC, maybe I take this opportunity to buy a new PC and transfer everything over, I have a good monitor etc so only need to buy the PC with large storage and built in wifi

PC world do them for around £200 that sound about right?

How easy is it to transfer photos or would PC world do it for me?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not use 'powerline' adapters then you can move the PC anywhere.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ACLgfLq5T2nhN5BAhvlf7pw&bvm=bv.99261572,d.ZGU

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thanks guys, so you plug one in near the PC and one near the modem and they send a signal between?

Is the TV a smart TV I guess?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks guys, so you plug one in near the PC and one near the modem and they send a signal between?

Is the TV a smart TV I guess?
The better ones have a mains socket on the front so you can use them as the power supply socket for the PC and the Modem/router. just plug em into the mains, plug the device into the front and use the same length Ethernet cable as the mains lead.

Dongles come in different sizes

When we first had WiFi, I found that the dongles were bulky and tended to "catch"

I bought a smaller version:

ongle11397733947._wifi-nano-usb-dongle.jpg

Much more manageable, and works as well

Top Bottom