1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiggins' physique

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling' started by ayceejay, 10 Jul 2012.

1. jdtate101

jdtate101 Ex-Fatman

I wonder what body fat % these guys are? Gotta be seriously low (5% ish) it's one of the reasons these guys are so prone to colds and flu, no body reserves to aid in fighting infection. The discipline it must take to get down to that TdF weight is very impressive, not something I'd ever be able to do, I like me pie's too much ^_^.

gaz likes this.
  2. it doesn't help that he wears those stupid 'long' shorts (which don't even fit properly), and stupid 'long' short sleeve jerseys...

3. raindog

raindog er.....

and long black socks

4. and those.. ;)

in fact, all he needs is some sandals and a camera around his neck, and he would look like a brit on holiday in Provence...

brockers likes this.
  5. Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic Guest

An old LA book of mine (about him, not by him) has some amusing reflections on this topic:

Mrs T Hamilton reflecting that she knew when the season was starting because she could see Tyler's kidneys through the skin on his back...

And observations about Pro-Tour cyclists using their elbows on the buttons in lifts...

And the ban on wives/girlfriends being ignored for Sheryl Crow... but a HUUGE gasp of fear from all the guys on LA's team when she coughed in the team bus.

These tales are probably apocryphal, but there is also likely to be some basis in truth....

But as the OP says, the condition reached for these crucial races is a thing of wonder.

6. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

I bet if you ride like them you can eat even more pies!!

7. BalkanExpress

BalkanExpress Senior Member

I seem to recall a Wiggins quote along the lines of "I'm an 82 kg bloke who rides the Tour at 70 kg"

Well Brad, I'm a 70kg bloke who commutes to work at 82 kg:sweat:

8. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

I dn't think body fat plays much part in fighting infections.

Colds and flu to these guys = loss of power & endurance. To us, it might mean we feel a bit crap but doesn't affect out work very much.

9. jdtate101

jdtate101 Ex-Fatman

10. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Actually, if you read the text, I suspect they have misinterpreted or misunderstood what John Hopkins university concluded.

That would suggest a very simplistic conclusion, which it isn't.

However, the cyclists must tread a fine line with all the factors necessary to make them compete at their optimal.

david k likes this.
  11. ayceejay

ayceejay Über Member

Endurance is an odd beast. Wiggins looks to me like he is on deaths door and the other rider mentioned here (Hoy) looks like he has enough flesh to feed on for a week but ...if this was a ride to the death between the two (one submission, no knock outs) who would you put your money on?

david k likes this.
  12. if the ride was a track sprint, the money would go on Hoy. If the ride was anything over 30 mins duration, I would put the money on Wiggins.

13. Berties

Berties Fast and careful!

the photographer was on the tdf highlights last night and the picture where he is sitting on the sofa in his room,makes him look really lonely and unwell,no meat on him,selection of home grown inks,and veins popping out,he is a totally passionate guy for the sport and should be respected for his opinions of which he does not hide:bicycle:

david k likes this.
  14. david k

david k Hi

30 mins? i reckon 5 mins

15. I was being generous... :smile:

16. albion

albion Über Member

How is one supposed look be after 150+K day after day?

Anyway, probably all a wise plan to keep the mob at bay.

17. google some pics of Michael Rasmussen if you want to see some proper weight loss.. ;)

18. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I'm the same size & weight as Cadel Evans then :smile:
    Only I don't have the same talent :sad:

19. aJohnson

aJohnson Senior Member

I read he was obsessed with having as little weight as possible, making his teammates carry bottles to him when he needs them, shaving off all of his body hair to save a few grams.

20. Nosaj

Nosaj Well-Known Member

I wonder if you can physically eat the calorific deficit that 21 days on the Tdf actually takes out of you. I am sure that you could by chugging down 8 big macs and fries but that is not the best food to set you up for the next days stage.

If you start at a low BF % what the hell do you finish with. What is the calorie burn on a typical stage 5-6,000 calories? at least, add on the calorie requirements just to survive and you have one hell of a mammoth task

Hats off to them, it must take some other worldly determination and commitment

brockers likes this.