will my helmet get nicked if i leave it on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've seen lots left on the bike, never seen one nicked yet. Who wants to nick a sweaty helmet?

some fool did with mine outside Ironmonger row baths in London. they also nicked somebody elses bike at the same time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Try soaking the pads or whole helmet in a stiff Miltons solution. I have recovered some smelly cycling gear that way after discovering a couple of my tops would smell like wet dog even after being washed and before being worn.
However, I am in the helmetless camp and suggest you try it for a few days and see if you really feel less safe without one :okay:

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Helmetless you say....never really thought about it seriously. 90% of my commute is canal towpath and the remainder is very quiet roads. Maybe I will try it and see how I feel. To be honest I think that would solve half the sweat pro bb lem.

RMurphy195

I've seen lots left on the bike, never seen one nicked yet. Who wants to nick a sweaty helmet?

But how do you know if a helemt hasn't been nicked from a bike that has'nt got one on it?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Helmetless you say....never really thought about it seriously. 90% of my commute is canal towpath and the remainder is very quiet roads. Maybe I will try it and see how I feel. To be honest I think that would solve half the sweat pro bb lem.

Good answer, nice to see an open mind on the subject.

I ride helmetless more often than with a lid on (it works for me as a high level mount for lights on dark rides), I run warm & get a sweaty head which can trickle down my face/eyes uncomfortably particularly in warm weather, so I wear a buff as a bandana to catch the sweat even when not helmeted.

Buffs are ideal cycling accessories. I have a collection mainly freebies from the front of cycling mags (this time of year is favourite for them, keep an eye out :smile: ) and TK Maxx so they get washed every day or so and they are always fresh as a daisy afterwards.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I had a similar problem with my motorcycle helmet - how to secure it to the bike while shopping, visiting things, eating etc, as it was a big old lump to carry round. Also worth a lot more than a cycle helmet, and vital to continuing the journey as it was a legal requirement, unlike a cycle helmet. If someone had nicked it, I was immobile. I ended up getting a short and lightweight cable lock from Halfords for about a fiver, and locked it to the handlebars. The lock was pretty feeble (I think you could have cut it with pliers) but visually it looked secured. I never had the helmet nicked (or peed in, for that matter). The lock went through the chinpiece, although with a cycle helmet you could perhaps use one of the vent holes. Or bite the bullet and get a new one. Or do without.

Top Bottom