Will this end up costing us more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does no one ever do "What amount of alcohol do I get per pence?" in their head anymore? So if you have 12 cans of Stella at 5.2% costing £15 and 8 cans of Carling at 4.1% costing £9, how do you ever know which one to buy?
Simple. The continental larger. You leave the rest for the proles or the beardy-weirdys

martint235

Dog on a bike
Simple. The continental larger. You leave the rest for the proles or the beardy-weirdys
Ah yes but in this day and age even the continental stuff starts playing. 4 70cl bottles of Leffe at 6.6% for £15 versus your Stella. Plus when you start bringing the Trappist stuff into it, it often encroaches in the wine area.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It may be that I end up throwing away the second punnet instead of the supermarket but I am no worse off.
Doesn't that mean everyone's paying the cost of disposal through council tax, rather than the supermarket paying? Seems like everyone's worse off, except the supermarket's owners who probably get increased dividends as a result!

sidevalve

Über Member
I blame the teachers. Kids that can't do simple arithmetic and we now legislate to protect the uneducated. Are we now going to close down the stupidity tax called the lottery.
+ a lot - if you can't work out 3 at £3.50 is dearer than 3 at £1 then tough. Why is it anybody else's problem. If people had to think for themselves and had less 'oh I can't be expected to work it out' crap then the legal profession might be able to get on and do something useful. Grow up and take RESPONSIBILITY if you can't I'm sure there are many institutions that you could be put in.

mustang1

Legendary Member
When you get a "buy twonfor one" offer, just buy it and then out your free one back on the shelf. I wonder if that will confuse the computers that keep track of in-stock items.

Col5632

Guru
I laugh the porridge offer in Tesco, 2 boxes of porridge with 20 sachets for £4 (on offer) or 1 box of the same porridge with 20 sachets for £3.99 (not on offer) if you are not paying attention its easy to get the 2 boxes instead of one.

Doesn't that mean everyone's paying the cost of disposal through council tax, rather than the supermarket paying? Seems like everyone's worse off, except the supermarket's owners who probably get increased dividends as a result!

Fair point.

I do think there is a huge con going on with food. Good real food seems to be sidelined and we are endlessly sold processed alternatives full of cheap ingredients and sold for about the same price.

A good example is fish-
You can buy frozen Cod for about £8/kg
It is 100% cod, is 80 calores per 100g, and has 2% fat 0% sugar and 7% salt.

But Captain Birdseye wants you to by cod fish fingers and so puts lots of ads on for the kids.
They come in cheaper at about £7.50/kg to tempt you.
But they are only 54% cod. They shoot up to 219 calories per 100g, jump to 14% fat, 2% sugar, and 13% salt.
As they are selling you lots of wheat flour and oil for the price of fish they make lots of profit and so can afford to spend on adverts and offers. It seems quite staggering that they can make something that is so good when in raw form so unhealthy and bad with the cheap added 46% they bung in with it.
This is not even the worst example. The cheapo brands have less fish and can be 20% fat.

This seems to be repeated in so much good food that is processed with lots more fat, sugar and salt added to make it bad.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But Captain Birdseye wants you to by cod fish fingers and so puts lots of ads on for the kids.
They come in cheaper at about £7.50/kg to tempt you.
But they are only 54% cod. ...
So that's £13.88/kg for the cod, ignoring the stuff you probably didn't want/need.

I can see why the Captain gets your trade if you did want breaded cod, as we have to remember it's sooooo much effort to throw a slice or two of bread (and herbs or spices but maybe go easy if there are kids) in a blender, use it to coat pieces of fish and fry or bake it.

And we all know that our huge food processing industry and their supermarket sales partners are completely unrelated to the health problems of the nation :rolleyes:

It's conversations like this that remind me why I take the time to go to town to market each week.

Top Bottom