Wine taste

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Just opened a bottle of Australian Shiraz, very nice it is too.

The label says it has "a strong combination of blackcurrants, plum, spice and a touch of mint", i think it tastes, well, winey.

Are the marketing men lying to me, or are my taste buds shot to pieces?

Abitrary

upsidedown said:
Just opened a bottle of Australian Shiraz, very nice it is too.

The label says it has "a strong combination of blackcurrants, plum, spice and a touch of mint", i think it tastes, well, winey.

Are the marketing men lying to me, or are my taste buds shot to pieces?

If you are a heavy beer drinker, then yes, your taste buds will be destroyed, albeit it temporarily.

I am an extremely heavy drinker of everything, and I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to enjoy wine and beer concurrently over long periods of time.

If you need to choose, then give up the beer - and give up the red wine because that is a minefield at, ahem, the price range you are probably buying at, and stick to decent whites for between 5 and 10 quid a bottle.

Abitrary

fossyant said:
Shiraz is very nice thank you............ Aussie is the best.....

If you pay at least 10 quid a bottle, then you might get something OK, that won't leave you hugging lamposts.

French shiraz is better like that. If you like that sort of stuff then you'll get something a bit cuter and grittier with a spanish rioja.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
Whatever you lamppost hugging scottish red wine drinkers want to call it is OK by me.

Box of syrah, mr offie man, if you will.

You can call it "French Shiraz" if you want. To anyone with a healthy interest in being correct it's called Syrah.

Abitrary

Noodley said:
You can call it "French Shiraz" if you want. To anyone with a healthy interest in being correct it's called Syrah.

I don't care. I drink white wine. If I wanted a litany about red wine from a scottish soak then I'd prefer it about something more comfortably on their radar like buckfast.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
I don't care.

Oh, I think you do.

Never mind, anything else you get wrong I'll help you out.

Abitrary

Noodley said:
Oh, I think you do.

Never mind, anything else you get wrong I'll help you out.

buckfast buckfast buckfast. What a load of massive yuck with knobs on. I don't know how you lot can drink that.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Abitrary said:
If you need to choose, then give up the beer - and give up the red wine because that is a minefield at, ahem, the price range you are probably buying at, and stick to decent whites for between 5 and 10 quid a bottle.

It was £4.99 from Somerfield, this week's special offer reduced from £7.99, so i thought it would be a bit posh, i guess i have some way to go in my wine education.

yello

I can't get into the full on Oz & Jilly 'new-mown-thistle-whizzed-on-by-squirrels' style of descriptions but I can definitely say I taste fruit tastes if they are there.

I can't drink the big reds now (shiraz, syrah, rioja) and do prefer as a rule 'affordable' whites. Cheap white wine (and there's loads of it here) tastes really brutal to me; think domestic cleaning products and the like. Whereas if I spend around €6 on a sauvignon or chardonay I know I can have an enjoyable few glasses of an evening. There are a few reds I get on with, merlot and fitou for instance, but it's not often.

Sometimes I wish I knew more and could be more adventurous but truth is that I really don't drink that much to make it of interest.

jonesy

Guru
upsidedown said:
It was £4.99 from Somerfield, this week's special offer reduced from £7.99, so i thought it would be a bit posh, i guess i have some way to go in my wine education.

I'm all in favour of the £5 bottle of Shiraz. If 'wine education' means you have to spend more money for the same perceived benefit, then I'll do without!

Abitrary

upsidedown said:

Like I said, get into white wine first for recreational purposes. It will give you less of a hangover also. You need to spend at least 10 quid for a decent bottle of red in england.

Or... just get a day trip to calais and get about 100 bottles of le nouveau beajolais at, er, beajolais time in france. That's good stuff and pretty cheap.

Top Bottom