Wine taste

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Abitrary....

Hardy's Bin 53 Red is V good
Hardy's Crest Red. Is damn good
Rosemont Estate Red "anything" is very nice indeed......
Jacobs Creek is most often very good what ever you buy........

These are mid range wines.......... I've had a few better ones but they are expensive - i.e. £10 a bottle........

I do not like French reds....to sharp....
Most Italian are the same for me. I like the odd Valpolli. wines.....though.....

Noodley

Abitrary said:
You need to spend at least 10 quid for a decent bottle of red in england.

That's wrong as well.

jonesy

Guru
Abitrary said:
Like I said, get into white wine first for recreational purposes. It will give you less of a hangover also. You need to spend at least 10 quid for a decent bottle of red in england.

I feel it is the other way round- you need to spend a lot more to get palatable white wine. I've always associated white wine with chavvy underage drinkers. :ohmy:

Abitrary

fossyant said:
Hardy's Bin 53 Red is V good
Hardy's Crest Red. Is damn good
Rosemont Estate Red "anything" is very nice indeed......
Jacobs Creek is most often very good what ever you buy........

ha! I laugh. Those are all rubbish. You're better off with something more subtle like spanish riojas like faustino or marques de caceres, all available from one the big supermarkets.

The ones you have mentioned would make me sick on my shoes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
oooh.. my post got white washed......

I find the French and Spanish wines too sharp..sorry...Aussie all the way for me....

New Worlde all the way for me...... competition...oh yeh...............

yello

jonesy said:
I've always associated white wine with chavvy underage drinkers. :ohmy:

Yeah, and there's a type of person that thinks it's more sophisticated to drink red :biggrin::evil: :sad:

Volpolicella, I'd forgotten that. I did like that. One of the down sides about living in France is that they're not big importers of wine. I guess they figure they don't need to be. I have seen Chilean reds, German hocs and reislings but no chance - in this part of rural France anyway - of getting an NZ or Aussie white. They're big on the whiskey though. Just a shame I'm not.

Abitrary

jonesy said:
I feel it is the other way round- you need to spend a lot more to get palatable white wine. I've always associated white wine with chavvy underage drinkers. :ohmy:

No you don't. And stop playing devil's advocate. Would you much rather drink a random 3 quid bottle of red or white?

jonesy

Guru
Abitrary said:
No you don't. And stop playing devil's advocate. Would you much rather drink a random 3 quid bottle of red or white?

£3? hmm. Now you are raising the game! I may have to concede that one to you... I will certainly agree that when getting extremely drunk, white is to be preferred. But obviously I haven't done anything like that since I was young and foolish... :ohmy:

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you want a really nice red... try an [Australian] Cabernet Sauvignon. i'm no wine coniousseur (see i prob can't even spell it) but i walked into a "proper wine shop" once as i needed a bottle to impress a real wine conio taster. the guy in the shop gave me a quick lesson and i ended up with this.

Anyway, needless to say he loved it, and then i went to dinner with some other wine tasters a few months later, and horrors of horrors they got me to choose the wine so i blagged it and ordered the cabernet sauvignon, and lo and behold they loved it. so much that they ordered it again the night after

and its the one that turned me from white to red (having before swear i'd never drink the stuff again after my first taste of what can only be described as vinegar)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Abitrary said:

Red, every time. Both will be as rough as the badger's proverbial, but the red will only inflict the pain the morning after, whereas the white will be akin to drinking a mixture of sugar and battery acid.

gavintc

Guru
Abitrary said:
ha! I laugh. Those are all rubbish. You're better off with something more subtle like spanish riojas like faustino or marques de caceres, all available from one the big supermarkets.

The ones you have mentioned would make me sick on my shoes.

So says thev wine buff who drinks french shiraz !! Sounds like your knowledge of wine is rather limited.

Top Bottom