Wine taste

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

As long as it's over 20 quid a bottle and out of your reach, then you will never know.

Abitrary

goo_mason said:
It has come a long way in the last few years. There are some cracking Chilean wines to be had.

I know, I agree. Nobody would have thought it a few years prior.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
As long as it's over 20 quid a bottle and out of your reach, then you will never know.

But what if a I save really hard and have 20 quid? How will I spend it wisely if I do not know what kind of Syrah to buy? I'll be stood there in front of all the 20 quid bottles of Syrah from all round the world...and not a clue if it's Cuban Syrah, Chilean Syrah or something else which is best.

Abitrary

It seems that many of the legends of Syrah's origins come from one of its many synonyms - Shiraz.[9] Since there also is a city in Iran called Shiraz, where the famous Shirazi wine was produced[10], some legends have claimed that the Syrah grape originated in Shiraz, and was brought to Rhône, which would make Syrah a local French synonym and Shiraz the proper name of the variety.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Anyone ever had any REALLY old wine ? Once helped get through a couple of bottles that were over 100 years old, but I was a young teen at the time so didn't fully appreciate it.

The guy we were staying with gave my Dad a couple of bottles which he still has in his 'cellar' (a dark, cool, upstairs cupboard !). That was about 28 years ago now, so it's now almost 130 years old and will probably be left to me in his will :-)

Biggest regret was when I was 18 and over in France with my folks. We went out to Bordeaux to visit the family of the people we were staying with. The couple were retired, and had owned a family restaurant dating back to the 1900s. When they sold up they emptied the wine cellar and took it all to their home cellar. That afternoon, I watched in utter jealousy as my folks enjoyed an afternoon of food and some very classic and very vintage wines, whilst I sipped orange juice as I'd offered to drive that day. Still rankles with me to this day !! IIRC, there were some bottles from the 30s and 60s being drunk....

Abitrary

goo_mason said:
Anyone ever had any REALLY old wine ? Once helped get through a couple of bottles that were over 100 years old, but I was a young teen at the time so didn't fully appreciate it.

I had some 30 year old spanish wine a while back. Incredible... it had the bits in and everything and made your tongue burn.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
I had some 30 year old spanish wine a while back. Incredible... it had the bits in and everything and made your tongue burn.

Was that bits of fruit? Sangria?

Abitrary

hmm, this thread seems to have brought out all the pissheads from under their respective stones. I off to answer some questions in the health and fitness section. Goodnight!

Noodley

Abitrary said:
hmm, this thread seems to have brought out all the pissheads from under their respective stones. I off to answer some questions in the health and fitness section. Goodnight!

'Night Abbers. Hope you don't stumble and fall on your way to bed answering questions.

Top Bottom