Winter Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why aren't you going out? OK gale force winds maybe stay in, and ice if you don't have studded tyres, but get good German spec lights to deal with the dark and good waterproofs to deal with the wet. Neither you or your bike will melt in the rain, but cleaning will take more time, which is another reason mileage will drop. Expect it to halve but still: get out here! :smile: There's plenty to see and the bike routes are quieter now all the fair weather riders aren't going.

D

Deleted member 22722

As others have said, invest in some mudguards, some half decent lights and some decent clothing and you'll find it's quite enjoyable in the dark winter months.

I tend to find I prefer getting up earlier and going for an extended ride before work (I also commute so this makes it easier) rather than riding in the evening. After a days work and sorting out an evening meal for me & the lad I sometimes find I lack the motivation to get back out there.

The hard part is getting out there. However once you've been on the bike for a couple of minutes it's great. Only heavy wind stops me from riding in the winter. Rain doesn't bother me and nor does ice, if i'm riding with my ice tyres. I just stay away from the lanes and stick to the main roads.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My winter plan is as follows:

1) Train hard on the turbo
2) Active recovery on the commute
3) 3/4 hour steady weekend rides if the weather permits (ie. not dangerously high winds or ice)

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Turbo in the garage, spin classes at the gym, and club rides if the weather's ok. Don't beat myself up if I'm feeling too wimpish to venture outside, just plan another sweat fest on the turbo!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
As long as I have mudguard and the right kit I quite enjoy cycling in the winter. Normally had enough by Feb. Although currently its nothing like winter at all almost disappointed!

crazyjoe101

I absolutely despise indoor training, and I am quite outdoorsy and when I got my first road bike it was November. I didn't have a huge amount of money so I bought the essentials, some cheap fleeced tights to go over my shorts, a cheap fleeced jersey, a cheap base layer, a cheap boi-in-the-bag jacket, a buff, some winter gloves, some wool socks, and some overshoes. I didn't get everthing at once though; I solved one body part at a time after a cold ride. All of it was pretty cheap kit and sometimes I'd have a miserable ride and I'd be either boiling hot of freezing cold most of the time but it was bearable and let me get out. The main gripe was fiddling with mudguards on my bike which had no mountings, I was constantly fiddling.
Anyway, to my main point. Since then I've slowly upgraded everything to at least mid-level kit and I now have a proper touring bike which is perfect for sedate winter rides which makes everything much more enjoyable, I don't really care what the weather is now because I have kit to deal with it, as long as there's no ice or ludicrous wind it doesn't matter.
Perhaps give a few rides ago with some budget Decathlon / Aldi type winter kit and se how you go, after 5-15 minutes you don't really feel the cold as much, and if you think you can get on with it then upgrade to more effective stuff?

GuyBoden

Guru
I've planned an autumn/winter route where I can get back home quickly if the rain gets too much, it entails going uphill quite a bit to get the body warm and repeats a few sections.

HelsBells Cambs

Reading these is making me feel a whole lot better! I'm having same problems at the OP.
I work crazy hours so in winter can't get out at night (not really safe where I live) and the weekend weather has been shocking (I don't mind rain but I'm not strong enough yet to deal with the fierce fen winds)
I'm regularly in the gym for cardio and some strength work and Zumba at least once a week but I miss the bike :sad:
I would go out in cold and rain as I have proper clothing but wind frightens me!!
Might need to think about a turbo but I'd need a bigger shed...... ^_^

Mile195

Veteran
Indeed it's hard to get motivated to get out when it's cold, but as others have said, the right clothing helps that. And once you get out, it's never as bad as you think it was going to be once you've warmed up.

Alternatively, can you incorporate some cycling into your commute to work (either the whole trip, or at least a part of it)? That way you'd be getting some riding in, without dedicating any additional time to it.

Finally, if you really still can't stomach the idea of going out on the roads when the weather's not all that, by chance is there a velodrome or mountain bike track or similar facility anywhere near you? As an example, the one they opened for the olympics in London does public sessions, as does Herne Hill Velodrome. In those environments you're not only off the road, but there are others there out on their bikes which is encouraging in itself. And the fact that you'd have to pre-pay for the sessions (therefore leaving you out of pocket if you don't go) might be the motivator you need to go and do them if you're struggling to find the enthusiasm.

As long as it's not raining or icy then i'm out.At the moment i'm doing about three short rides a week(30 miles a ride)and enjoying it.

The great thing is the weather is still unseasonable mild and my times have not really changed from the summer except when it has been windy.
When it is windy i always plan my route so i have the tailwind coming home.

You can't keep waiting for the "perfect day" or you will never get out.

Reactions: mjr

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
As long as it's not raining or icy then i'm out.At the moment i'm doing about three short rides a week(30 miles a ride)and enjoying it.

The great thing is the weather is still unseasonable mild and my times have not really changed from the summer except when it has been windy.
When it is windy i always plan my route so i have the tailwind coming home.

You can't keep waiting for the "perfect day" or you will never get out.

Unless you live in a caravan which you can move, you can't change the general direction of your home coming route....or are you able to change the wind on request?? If so, then :notworthy:

puffinbilly

Veteran
Unless you live in a caravan which you can move, you can't change the general direction of your home coming route....or are you able to change the wind on request?? If so, then :notworthy:

Can't really see the problem here - unless you live on the coast or in a really rural area where there's only one road in or out. For instance - I'll be out tomorrow in high winds but will head out west towards Hexham and then let the SW push me back towards Newcastle.

Top Bottom