Wisteria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I confess to the vice that knows no shame - I really do like wisteria. It lightens red brick, it enlivens yellow brick and it's rapid growth is a bit like instant gardening.

Clearly 'Dave' Cameron has read the estate agents guide that says wisteria can knock five grand off the value of your house, and taken action (at our expense). He, and the estate agents, may be right. Maybe potential buyers are so appalled by those pendulous, dripping mauve blooms that they do put the pedal to the metal when they roll up for a viewing. But, if they are right, there must be a lot of people who detest wisteria. And some of those people might be here.

So, come on, wisteria-haters. Tell us what it is that you have against this queen of climbers!

yello

dellzeqq said:
So, come on, wisteria-haters.

Oh. Rules me out then.

We have it both front and rear of the house. The smell is gorgeous. We also have lilac at the front and the smell of that and the wisteria earlier this month was thick and sweet. Close your eyes and drift away. Especially in the early morning whilst the air was still moist. As close to heaven I reckon as I'll ever get.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had a huge one when we lived in Burnley. Maybe it's a snob thing - wisteria may be decorative in a failing northern mill town but vulgar in the leafy suburbs of the soft southern underbelly of Britain.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mr Mag00 said:
not a fan, just dont like the droopy flower heads.

a tad twee?

aaah! Step in to the spotlight, Mr. Magoo. Is it because the flowers look like they just need a good rest?

catwoman

I have a wisteria in my garden. :biggrin: It was glorious this year, the scent was wonderful. The only thing against it is that the flowering doesn't last long enough. I'm a bit worried about the new scale insect that has arrived in the UK though. It affects and can kill wisteria.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
okey, wisteria fans, knock yourselves out on these babies
DSC00144.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

and now for the love that really dare not speak its name...
DSC00147.jpg

Top Bottom