Woss and Brand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Fnaar said:
He's gawn, for three months, without pay

Sorry, not enough. How come he's the only one not to loose his job when he was the one who made the comments?

gavintc

Guru
I wonder if he will appear on Ch4 in the interim.

Meanwhile, the production staff are rewarded with annual bonuses and general slaps on back.

peanut

This is where our very expensive licence fee is going. Not on decent TV & radio programs but toss**s like ross .
Whaton earth does anyone see in him ? beats me.

Good riddance Ross

catwoman

The thing that struck me immediately about this issue (I have only skimmed through this thread so am not sure if someone has already made the point) is that I wonder how Jonathan Ross would feel if the boot was on the other foot. What if in a few years time when he's a bit older and mellowed, some smart ar$e comedian rings him up on national radio and makes assertions/brags about what he has done sexually to his daughter/grand daughter. I wonder how he would feel about that?
As for me I am a fan of Jonathan Ross on Radio 2 on Saturday mornings. I'm not so keen on the Friday night show these days as to me he's getting more like Parkinson who I couldn't stand. All that sucking up to people while they plug their latest product really irritates me, and that's putting it mildly. I suppose the radio show is more entertaining as it is punctuated with some decent music.
I hope this does not signal a dumming down of the more cutting edge comedy shown on telly, I can't bear the usual sitcoms presumably so beloved of the Daily Mail type of viewing public.
The BBC (and the Daily Mail) have to acknowledge the diversity of the sudience, what some find offensive, others find funny. To my mind the base of comedy is to challenge the audience. The simple solution is if you don't like it, switch it off. :ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
catwoman said:
The BBC (and the Daily Mail) have to acknowledge the diversity of the sudience, what some find offensive, others find funny. To my mind the base of comedy is to challenge the audience. The simple solution is if you don't like it, switch it off. :ohmy:

Isn't the base of comedy to make people laugh?

You are right that people can just switch off. However the number of complaints would indicatet that there is a consensus in society as to where the limits of behaviour should be set. The public does not appear to tolerate the idea that anything goes. Perhaps that is a lesson which the BBC should draw from this.

I also wonder how many of the complaints are partly motivated by it being one of the few ways in which people can indirectly express their disgust at Woss's ludicrous salary?

ChrisKH

Guru
Challenge the audience? I want to laugh, not run a comedy assault course. Mock the Week is comedy. Russell Brand doing a twenty minute sketch about a woman who had sex with a dog (which I happened upon last night) had one punchline. One. About the size and age of his target audience.

U

User482

ChrisKH said:
Challenge the audience? I want to laugh, not run a comedy assault course. Mock the Week is comedy. Russell Brand doing a twenty minute sketch about a woman who had sex with a dog (which I happened upon last night) had one punchline. One. About the size and age of his target audience.

Though it's worth remembering that Mock the Week has some outrageously offensive moments in it: the entire output of Frankie Boyle. The main difference between this and the Ross/ Brand incident is that Boyle is actually funny.

Bodhbh

Guru
catwoman said:
The BBC (and the Daily Mail) have to acknowledge the diversity of the sudience, what some find offensive, others find funny. To my mind the base of comedy is to challenge the audience. The simple solution is if you don't like it, switch it off. :wacko:
Problem is, the guy that got caught up in this wasn't an audience seeking to be challenged, it was someone minding his own business...he wasn't sat in the front row of some comedy club. They got carried away and forgot a real human being was involved their improv and made a boo boo.

That said too much fuss has been made over it, it's was an improv that went OTT and slipped thru the net and shouldn't have been broadcast, not the friggin crime of the centuary. It should be beneath Gordon Browns attention anyhow, you'd think he had enuff on his plate.

U

User482

Bodhbh said:
Problem is, the guy that got caught up in this wasn't an audience seeking to be challenged, it was someone minding his own business...he wasn't sat in the front row of some comedy club. They got carried away and forgot a real human being was involved their improv and made a boo boo.

That said too much fuss has been made over it, it's was an improv that went OTT and slipped thru the net and shouldn't have been broadcast, not the friggin crime of the centuary. It should be beneath Gordon Browns attention anyhow, you'd think he had enuff on his plate.

My understanding was that Sachs had agreed to be on the show? Accounts do seem to unclear though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
User482 said:
My understanding was that Sachs had agreed to be on the show? Accounts do seem to unclear though.
yes, they had his number, as Brand was going to interview him over the phone during the show... but he didn't answer the phone when Brand phoned him, and so Brand decided to leave a message.... D'oh!

Greedo

You need to get a life. Your hatred for these two is verging on unhealthy.

Mr Pig said:
Sorry, not enough. How come he's the only one not to loose his job when he was the one who made the comments?

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Greedo said:
You need to get a life. Your hatred for these two is verging on unhealthy.

Actually, I'm not that bothered about brand. He's not my cup of tea but I can see why people like him. I don't like Ross though as in my opinion his vulgarity is not appropriate for the type of programming he does. I'd quite like to watch a decent chat show now and then but unfortunately the main BBC one is polluted with Ross's filth.

Top Bottom