Woss and Brand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Okay, not the exact words but something "like" it was said and intended as some kind of taunt. I'm not offended by the language in the slightest, it's the complete childishness of the need to even make the remark.

U

User482

yello said:
I don't find statements like 'I ****ed your daughter' to be cutting edge.

Oh, it certainly wasn't funny, I agree. But there's a danger of setting a precedent over this minor incident which could see the banning of anything remotely edgey.

dodgy

Yep, TV is bland enough as it is, I think we can prepare ourselves for more reality TV shows (safe ones, obviously) and soap operas. Perhaps Little Britain and The League of Gentlemen should be pulled from future airings, too, we wouldn't want to offend the Daily Mail readers.

yello

Sadowitz's act (and I've seen him live 3 times and howled with laughter each time) is entirely over-the-top offensive. That was his act! He intended to shock the public and, I agree, there can be a place for that. I think Sadowitz challenged his audience to laugh at what might be thought of as unlaughable. I remember leaving the comedy club the first time completely stunned and confused as to what I had laughed at and, more to the point, why. And neither did I answer those questions at either of the following shows ;)

But there is, to me, a difference between an audience being challenged and singling out an individual and trying to belittle them or whatever it was intended to achieve. It's like a playground bully, and about as challenging.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

The difference between Ross and Sadowitz is that Sadowitz was not a prime-time chat show host. Being 'edgy' is fine but you can't have it both ways. Ross is one of the BBC's front-line presenters and as such he has a certain standard of decency to uphold, or at least he should have. Would Micheal Parkinson still have been able to command the respect he received as a chat show host had he told filthy jokes in comedy clubs at the same time?

We used to pay people because they were professionals. Now it seems we reward people for being imature.

Incidentally, I'm singling out Ross because I think he was almost totally to blame for he incident and has done sod all to put it right. Brand resigned and apologized, Ross did neither.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

KitsuneAndy said:
Ross apologised first and I believe he sent flowers to Andrew Sachs and then he made a public apology yesterday.

My mistake. He's fractionally less of an a*** than I thought he was five minutes ago ;0)

KitsuneAndy

Mr Pig said:
My mistake. He's fractionally less of an a*** than I thought he was five minutes ago ;0)

I do sometimes enjoy Friday Night.. But still think he's incredibly up himself.

Still, this thing has been blown totally out of proportion.

Mr Phoebus

T-Shirt opportunity:

IT WAS ME!
Who phoned the BBC.​

Greedo

Eh!

If it was a film called "Abusive Phone Call" or "Voicemail" then that would be Irony

A film with the same name as a class A drug is not irony, as neither Ross or Brand were caught doing drugs!

Angelfishsolo said:
Just thinking. They've replaced an unintentionally unfunny show with and unintentionally funny one. I find a certain irony in that especially as the title is also a class A Drug. :sad:

Top Bottom