Would it be so wrong...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
If I bought a pig and walked it through town in a hazmat suit :tongue::biggrin:

7c3gcuq9.jpg
#

Big fuss over nothing IMO (Different in Mexico maybe)

Arch

Married to Night Train
thomas said:

Yeah, I guess if you've just had a relative die, it's ok to fuss over it...:tongue:

Mexico City is one of the few places abroad I've been, and I do feel for them - I liked the place, and it's a shame to think of a) people dying and :rolleyes: them losing the tourist business for as long as this lasts.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
thomas said:

Clearly you've never had a full dose of flu.

I had a dose and then got post viral complications which were debilitating and it took months to fully recover.

TVC

Nice cartoon.

It has become the vogue at work to follow any (genuine) sneeze or cough with the word Oink! I'm not sure how long this will last but it's worn off for me already.

It will less even less long if the word Oink! is followed by the sounds Thump! or Punch!.

Mr Pig

The Velvet Curtain said:
It has become the vogue at work to follow any sneeze or cough with the word Oink!

See, I think that's funny too. We still say 'bless you' after people sneeze because of a situation not too dissimilar.

I don't have a problem with humor in the face of hardship and pain, it's what makes us human and helps us to get through. I remember a story that Joan Rivers recounted on a TV interview a few years ago.

Joan's husband committed suicide and it hit both her and her daughter Melissa very hard. She found it very hard to talk to her daughter as she withdrew into herself and Joan was worried that her daughter was drifting away from her.

Joan arranged for the two of them to meet up for lunch one day in a convenient restaurant. Her daughter arrived, still very quiet and not wanting to talk. Joan lifted the menu and let out a gasp! She said "Good grief, I'm glad your dad's not hear because if he'd seen these prices he'd have killed himself all over again!" Melissa burst out laughing and in that moment, Joan got her daughter back.

Chill out. Just because we can laugh at things does not mean we don't care.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Mr Pig said:
See, I think that's funny too. We still say 'bless you' after people sneeze because of a situation not too dissimilar.

I don't have a problem with humor in the face of hardship and pain, it's what makes us human and helps us to get through. I remember a story that Joan Rivers recounted on a TV interview a few years ago.

Wasn't it to do with the black death? Same thing as a some nursery rhymes.

Arch said:
Yeah, I guess if you've just had a relative die, it's ok to fuss over it...:smile:

From what I am aware (I'm yet to hear the news today), the only cases in the UK and outside of Mexico have been fairly minor and easily treatable and I think most of the people who had it, had just been to Mexico - yet a massive fuss has been made over it. On Jeremy Vine yesterday some people were suggesting forcing people to wear face masks on planes - even though this has little benefit. I never suggested doing it in Mexico - that might be a little bit tasteless.

vernon said:
Clearly you've never had a full dose of flu.

I had a dose and then got post viral complications which were debilitating and it took months to fully recover.

You are correct, I've never had a dose of the flu and it really annoys me when people claim to have had the 'flu' after they've had a slight cold and taken a day of school/work just because I am aware it is a serious illness.

Obviously the Flu is a serious issue (many people die throughout the world every year), and obviously this swine flu is a serious issue, I just think it is being over played in the media. Maybe that's my ignorance, but it wouldn't be unlike the press to over do it.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I was viewing the unloading of a delivery of pigs ealier.

A couple were a bit stubborn ... until the driver sneezed. I swear I saw some with masks too. :smile:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Well, we're all going to be getting leaflets about swine flu through the post now.

Probably be as useful as 'preparing for emergencies' was.

Maz

Guru
Imagine the poor sods who've booked honeymoons etc in Cancún etc. They must be really peed off etc.

Top Bottom