Would you or do you ride...

Would you or do you ride with carbon components in high stress areas !

• No - I like my life and limbs in their place..

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • YES - No worries its a great weight saver and strong as an ox' relatively ! :)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I rode with a carbon fork through tottenham a couple of times, and it felt more dangerous than when I used to ride my tomahawk there in the 70s.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All bike parts are high stress.......

If I had a bike that was carbon etc....the only area's I'd insist were alloy are the bars and stem.....check out the weights of alloy vs carbon, and it's very similar...eg Easton's stuff........ and loads cheaper......

Wheels, I'd stick with, as a minimum, alloy braking surfaces, 'cos I isn't made of money.... Fulcrum Zeros, Dura Ace 7850's...etc....

mickle

innit
Carbon is the future. I've got a carbon crown and steerer, bars, and stem on my mountain bike. No worries.

Although I did once have a customer whose carbon post shattered going over a hump and he impaled his arse on the ragged stump. He had to spend hours with his arse in the air whilst a team of nurses removed the shards. He was not happy.

Dayvo

just passin' through
There aren't any high stress areas here, although I wouldn't like to cycle in London! ;)

bonj2

Yes, i've got carbon forks on my road bike and i do ride on fairly uneven roads sometimes with no worries.
Carbon is actually very strong in terms of being able to withstand shock/bumps/stress, as it's got a lattice structure which holds it together very well.
Where it isn't good however is if an actual impact to the carbon itself knocks a dent in it or, say, a rock gouges a chunk out of it, or it gets cracked, then the lattice structure is damaged and it isn't half as strong, this is why I wouldn't ride a carbon-framed mtb, at least for FR/AM/'challenging' XC style mtbing, although it'd probably be ok (read: ideal) for your 'true' XC type stuff, such as a race round sherwood pines for instance.

Headgardener

Armchair Cyclist
mickle said:
Carbon is the future. I've got a carbon crown and steerer, bars, and stem on my mountain bike. No worries.

Although I did once have a customer whose carbon post shattered going over a hump and he impaled his arse on the ragged stump. He had to spend hours with his arse in the air whilst a team of nurses removed the shards. He was not happy.
;):rofl::bravo: I don't suppose he got the pretty young nurse either probably got the ugly old one:biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

mickle said:

I once had a campag. record s/post: carbon and it started fraying -your much better off with a light alu -variant.

You can get really light alu s.posts

Kirstie

Über Member
Had an alien carbon seatpost with an alu clamp. The clamp failed first!
My roadie is all carbon frame/forks, the front mech is record carbon/ti and the cranks are carbon too. A good friend of mine manufactures carbon parts for F1 racing cars, and so I know all the tricks to check for delamination etc. So far so good...

Top Bottom